1958 Johnson 10 qd-19 hard to start and stay running

Seb8479

Recruit
I have 1958 Johnson 10 how model qd-19. It came with x dual line pressure tank that was leaking. I replaced the seal and the diaphrame, and the tank works now. I cleaned the carb and the screen filter in the glass bowl. The engine will start but die within 5-10 seconds.

Any ideas?

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard. I moved you into the Johnson/Evinrude forum. See if we can get some better ideas going.

Idle adjustment screws? That one should have high and low.

lindy46

Captain
Is the tank holding pressure? If not, fuel won't be pushed into the carb. Try pumping the primer button on the tank when it begins to die and see if it stays running. You should hear a "whoosh" when you crack the tank cap if it's pressurizing. If that's not the problem, try removing the filter screen and see if she stays running. Those filters are about impossible to clean once they are plugged up, and should be replaced. Part #303133.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If the coils have not already been replaced, they need to be. All 1958 Johnson twins have cracked coils, if the originals are still in there.

Attachments

• photo285186.jpg
    photo285186.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0

Seb8479

Recruit
So the tank does hold air, ii checked and you can hear the air escaping. I set the needles to high at 1 turn out and the low to 1 1/2 turns out. I am wondering if the motor gets enough fuel. Can I hope those hoses up directly to the motor and skip the quick connect.

I am going to check the coils today

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The cap must be closed and the tank must hold air pressure.-----Repair parts / kits are available.

Seb8479

Recruit
So I moved the tank higher then the motor is and it ran in a test tank for about 10 min before I shut it off. Any ideas why it would have to be placed that much higher, the tank should not soly work of gravity. I mean I can make a mount to wrte the tank sits a little higher. A. I also noticed if the cap on the tank is all the way tight, tgere is some gas that comes out of the primer button. But if I loosen it a little bit, then the motor still runs but there is also no gas coming out of the primer button. There is still gas coming through the lines. The tank has a new diaphrame and gasket. Is there a o ring that needs to go in the primer button shaft?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There is a problem where the push rod goes through the diaphragm. Distorted support washers, end of push rod corroded, nut loose, are a few common issues.

Seb8479

Recruit
I checked the washers on the diaphrame, the look warped not flat. Replacement is not available. Can I hammer them flat again to make it work.

Seb8479

Recruit
So I changed out the diaphrame washers, found some locally at a small Marine parts store. Re did all the gaskets, took the boat out, the tank holds gas no leaks, the motor runs good have to fine-tune it a bit, more towards the leaner side.

Thank you guys so much for all the advice