Electrical help 1975 evinrude 40 hp

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Working on a 1975 evinrude 40 hp. Can't get starter to turn. I am using a push button switch temporarily . I have 12v on one side of solenoid. I get 12v on both of the small wires on solenoid when pushing start button. Not getting 12v on starter motor side of solenoid when pushing start button. STARTER MOTOR WORKS FINE WHEN 12v directly applied to it. Not sure where to go from here. SOLENOID is brand new

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a safety switch mounted on the motor bloclk?------Look for a switch with one white wire on it

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Starter button throws 12v to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals... the other 3/8" nut terminal needs to lead to ground to complete the circuit. Does the solenoid click in?... If not, that 2nd 3/8" nut terminal is probably NOT grounded. You need to list more in detail so we don't have to guess. Get back to us with what you find.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
That second small terminal is for the neutral safety. I took the small white wire off the small solenoid terminal and ran a wire from the small solenoid terminal to ground and everything works fine. Owner of the motor told me he is fine with not having the neutral switch operable and I warned him of the dangers. Thanks guys

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those switches are easy to clean / adjust as needed.----No money spent !

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
That second small terminal is for the neutral safety. I took the small white wire off the small solenoid terminal and ran a wire from the small solenoid terminal to ground and everything works fine. Owner of the motor told me he is fine with not having the neutral switch operable and I warned him of the dangers. Thanks guys

No, it is not a Neutral Safety Switch. On that model it is a Safety Switch that simply disconnects the ground if excess throttle is applied. I just assumed that you knew I mean "grounded" via that safety switch. The engine could be started in gear in either grounded scenario BUT without that safety switch in the circuit, it can be started in gear at full throttle... not a good idea.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The neutral safety switch is mounted on the starboard side of the engine block and has one wire going to it. And like Joe Reeves stated, it is white and does come from the starter solenoid. It only grounds when the engine is in neutral position..if adjusted correctly. Not hard to find or adjust. JMHO

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
On my 40hp there are 2 safety switches... One wired to the solenoid and activated by the gear shift lever.. The other on top for the throttle wired through the cut out switch...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The one on the gear shift is the neutral start safety switch. The one on throttle allows the vacuum cut-out switch to operate only at slow throttle settings. Not related----at least on the 1976. The one on the throttle served dual purposes on some older models

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
On my 40hp there are 2 safety switches... One wired to the solenoid and activated by the gear shift lever.. The other on top for the throttle wired through the cut out switch...

Okay... That's good! So far back in time, I forgot about that one. You might get the hell scared out of you by starting it at full throttle accidentally, but at least you won't get thrown over the transom! :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did the folks from years gone by survive with big motors, no gear shift.-----No recoil starters on them ????