1970 Johnson 20 hp

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So the I impeller came today. Waiting for the key to arrive. I was looking at how to take off the housing and the big metal rod that it spins in pulled out. I put it back in just fine but was wondering what my ramifications are going to be on the top? I’m sure there is female part at the top that will also need to seat. Any thoughts here? Thanks

The big rod is the drive shaft. It fits into the crankshaft at the top. Nothing to worry about, as long as you hit the hole it is fine. BUT you should grease the splines (grooves) first. Just smear some on the sides of the splines. And use a new o-ring in the groove just below the splines. The o-ring is very important.

Soot87

Seaman Apprentice
The big rod is the drive shaft. It fits into the crankshaft at the top. Nothing to worry about, as long as you hit the hole it is fine. BUT you should grease the splines (grooves) first. Just smear some on the sides of the splines. And use a new o-ring in the groove just below the splines. The o-ring is very important.

Ok thanks! I was going to try to save the o-ring at the top. Can I just get an old o ring at a hardware store or is there something specific about this one?

Soot87

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so the impeller and the key are here I’ve got everything ready except I can’t figure out how to get the key in. The drive shaft has a little notch that I’m assuming drives it and I need to tap the new round impeller key in. Is this correct? The mercury pin I used before was a little different if I recall. I think I’m got it to stick to the shaft and put the impeller over the top. Any help would be appreciated

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hm.m.m. I would have expected a 1970 to have a round hole that the pin slides into. But if it has a flat ground on the side of the shaft, stick the pin to it with a little dab of grease and slide the impeller over it. Hopefully.

Soot87

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I totally did not lose the key it was still in the drive shaft. Now I’ve gotten it all buttoned back up but I clearly did something wrong connecting the shift linkage and I’m just spinning. What are the common things to do wrong here?

Soot87

Seaman Apprentice
Well I just ruined the treads that’s connect the lower unit to the upper. I think I’m toast.