Re: 1978 Johnson 55 hp 2 stroke outboard 55el78s wiring problems.

edward.2525

Recruit
Re: 1978 Johnson 55 hp 2 stroke outboard 55el78s wiring problems.

I need to rewire my motor. The motor manual pictures are great if you have mechanical
experience. I don't. I would like to find a illustrations that clearly show where all of the wires go.
An exploded description (one that shows where on the engine the rectifier goes)
would allow many, with little experience to completely rewire a engine. I am still looking for this
illustrated tutorial. Thank you. Ed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does this help? Probably it's as good as you'll get.

Got a buddy with some electrical knowledge?

jewiring.PNG

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I need to rewire my motor. The motor manual pictures are great if you have mechanical
experience. I don't. I would like to find a illustrations that clearly show where all of the wires go. An exploded description (one that shows where on the engine the rectifier goes) would allow many, with little experience to completely rewire a engine. I am still looking for this illustrated tutorial. Thank you. Ed

The fact that you don't know where the rectifier goes leads me to believe that you got this engine in basket so to speak. The rectifier is attached to the cylinder head between the two ignition coils. Due to the retaining screws being different thread sizes, it is impossible to install it wrong.

The color coded wiring diagrams that come with service manuals are quite self explanatory... Is this what gives you a problem or are they black/white diagrams?