18hp Fastwin lower unit seals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18hp Fastwin lower unit seals

I have a 1969 18hp Fastwin model 18902B. I’ve owned it since 2012 with Little to no issues other than general maintenance. However I have never put a water pump in it, I have a new one and plan on doing it soon. But I’m wondering about trying to seal up the lower end. Ever since I’ve owned the motor the lower end oil is a little milky when I change it every year, never given me any issues but I’d like to try to fix it. I’ve already changed drain/fill plugs and sealing washers. Do I have to order all the seals and orings seperately or is there a “lower end seal kit”? Any of these seals or orings a usual culprit for leaking? Any special tools I will need?

The shift rod o-ring is often overlooked.

Comment

vintageoutboard.com has kits and most likely this site 's owner

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/coll...-case-seal-kit

Comment

thanks! anything to look out for, be aware of, or caution about doing this repair??

Comment

never done an 18hp myself but I would think they are all alike basically visit search UTUBES

It may be simpler to just reload some wally mart oil in mid-season ......takes 5 minutes and done
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3RrSDx1Zc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCkpGD4bgDI
          Last edited by Crosbyman; February 12th, 2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
            The shift rod o-ring is often overlooked.
            the oring your referring to is in the brass bushing correct?

Crosbyman, i know that would be easier, however as long as Im taking it out to do the water pump, i might as well do it, im capable of the repair and if it doesnt totally seal up ill just go back to what i been doing and change the oil frequently

Comment

Some will argue ----But that shift rod O-ring can be replaced without removing the bushing!-----Resealing is easy and well worth doing.-----Have you looked at the price of new parts for these?-----These lower units ard gears were of a better design and durability that some new motors today.-----The gears / bushings with proper oil will just last and last.

Comment

this motor is in great shape, only thing ive ever done is replaced the head with a NOS because previous owner stripped a plug hole and tried to helicoil it. ive rebuilt the fuel pump a couple times, and rebuilt the carb a couple times, replaced the thermostat and points/cond when i first got it, and now just put a new set of points and cond in it. plugs and LU oil every year, only problem with it, i wish it were bigger! of course maybe its my fault for being to big!

Comment

Look for a 28 or 33 HP model from 62 to 70.-----Just bigger motors with the same design concept.

Comment

i have searched for one of those, cant ever find one in a tiller steer. My problem is my boat has a wide beam, and since someone took all the control out and made it a tiller steer, I have everything in the back, me, start/deep cycle batt, trolling motor, and the fastwin. i put gas tank in middle of boat

Comment

Working...
                    X