Estimate question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimate question

I took my 1996 Evinrude 130 (E130TLEDM) into the shop because it was only dripping and not peeing like it should. I was told that it doesn't currently have thermostats and that it needs a new water pump.

As I understand it, not having thermostats installed would not cause it not to pee. The only thing that would cause that is if there were thermostats and they were stuck closed, right?

My other question is whether $745 seems like a reasonable estimate to replace the two thermostats and water pump. That's parts and labor. seems a bit high when you consider that a full water pump kit for that motor is about $55. I've done a water pump impeller before and it was a pain, but didn't take longer than an hour to do myself, and I'm no pro. I've lso replaced thermostats and the labor on this motor for that is next-to-nothing.

you are paying shop labor at $120 to $150 per hour, and that includes the diagnostic time.

the water pump is what causes water to flow

the thermostats are what controls the flow of water thru-out the motor

my guess is this is a new to you motor, and you bought it from someone that had water-pump issues (they are supposed to get replaced every few years) and to mask the issue or band-aid it for the sale, they pulled the thermostats.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

If it's a salty dog then I pad an hour or two for broken/stuck stuff.
      '47 18' CC Utility "Knock On Wood"
      Various Evinrude powered Pontoons all named "Floosy"

Comment

a 5 minute job is one broken bolt away from a 3 day ordeal.
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

It's got almost no rust on it. None of the bolts for the thermostats or lower unit should give any issues since they recently been removed. It is what it is, I guess. I could have saved money doing it myself, but I didn't want the hassle.

Comment

Not technically challenging at all.--------Buy the manual.-----Fix it at home.------Boating gets expensive if you have that shop do all your work !!

Comment

do it yourself…

you can't be that busy and you will be proud of yourself and you can buy some goodies with the money you saved.

lots of help for assistance here, utube and aomci folks …. see link for the book

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/...inrude.html#/0

Comment

If you have lots of money then usually there is no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by PensacolaJason View Post
                  I took my 1996 Evinrude 130 (E130TLEDM) into the shop because it was only dripping and not peeing like it should. I was told that it doesn't currently have thermostats and that it needs a new water pump.

As I understand it, not having thermostats installed would not cause it not to pee. The only thing that would cause that is if there were thermostats and they were stuck closed, right?

My other question is whether $745 seems like a reasonable estimate to replace the two thermostats and water pump. That's parts and labor. seems a bit high when you consider that a full water pump kit for that motor is about $55. I've done a water pump impeller before and it was a pain, but didn't take longer than an hour to do myself, and I'm no pro. I've lso replaced thermostats and the labor on this motor for that is next-to-nothing.
                  Crazy money . . . They must think they can pull one over on you. Better off fixing it yourself.
                  Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
                  Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
                  Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

If you can solve it with money---------Then you do not have a problem !

Comment

Working...
                    X