starting problems

jsk4224

Recruit
have 1984 evinrude 90hp that barely turns over when i try to start. hook up battery cables, neg. to engine block and positive to solenoid. again motor barely turned over. cleaned all cable ends including lock washer and nuts. same results. question how do i check solenoid? don't want to start buying solenoid or starter unless i need them. hopefully somebody can steer me in the right direction. i don't own a volt meter.
thank-you very much,
john

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The battery is fully charged, isn't it? Are the cables in good shape with no swelling or grungy looking strands?

Instead of hooking up the positive to the solenoid, connect it directly to the starter. If it cranks better, chances are the solenoid isn't working well. If it cranks the same, possibly the starter is going south - Take it to an auto electrical shop for testing if you can find one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure to clean the pads where the starter bolts to the block

same goes with the battery connections

by clean, shiny and clean enough your wife would eat off them

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Are you using jumper cables? There is a huge variation in quality of those things. The el cheapo ones are junk and don't expect them to work. You say you don't own a volt meter. What is stopping you from buying one? Or would you rather buy parts that you don't need?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
volt meters are free at harbor freight with a coupon (they have coupons at the desk)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the starter apart for inspection.----Easy to do.----Brushes can be found for as little as $ 5.00

kbait

Commander
I use 4 ga. Jumper cables to test starter. If your trying smaller ga. Cables, it may not get enough amps to spin starter normally with spark plugs installed.

wrench 3

Commander
I don't think you are going to rope pull a 90HP that is in good shape :confused:

The factory supplied it with a rope for emergency starting. I don't know who they were expecting to pull it but it should at least give him an idea of how smoothly it turns over.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many years ago we arrived at the cottage to do some boating with a 100 HP 1966 Johnson.------The starter was down and out.------I started it with a rope many times that weekend !!!

interalian

Commander
Many years ago we arrived at the cottage to do some boating with a 100 HP 1966 Johnson.------The starter was down and out.------I started it with a rope many times that weekend !!!

I've tried rope-starting my 140 and found it extremely difficult to pull it fast enough to energize the ignition to fire. It wasn't that hard to spin it though.

jsk4224

Recruit
very good jumper cables connect to solenoid and then starter, same results. will take to mechanic monday morning.
for all the positive comments thank-you very much.
for all the negative comments you can go straight to 'L'.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
For most folks, their known good battery is in their vehicle. I would jump the starter from your vehicle using a good pair of commercial jumper cables — pos clamp to the post on the boat starter, negative to the starter mount. The object is to “bench test” the starter. If the motor turns over normally (i.e., fast), you can assume the starter is good. If not, clean/repair/replace the starter.

Cleaning wires means sandpapering all ends until bright and shiny. Testing the battery means testing ability to hold a charge as well as load testing (most auto parts stores will do that for free). Testing the solenoid is a little more labor intensive, and may mean testing the ignition switch as well. But you can fairly easily rule out a bad starter or battery, and corroded wires.