1968 Evinrude 3hp 3806A lower gear case oil leaking out exhaust erea drain hole

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The simple things first.-----Does spark jump a gap of at least 1/4", yes or no ?----And the head gaskets are not the highest quality on those.----A compression test might help.

Steelhand

Seaman
Thanks for all responses. I'll get it out on the boat at the lake the next tolerable day and apply advice. I don't want to run it in the big can any more, too much clean up. I just hope a ranger doesn't stop me to check for legals, he'd probably pull his side arm when sees the oil slick that little jewel is leaving LOL!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
just run it on synthetic oil...xd100 is $$$$ but it will clean the innards and leave next to no il slick or fumes behind you.

Steelhand

Seaman
synthetic oil...xd100....I will defiantly do just that. I'll do it for my 79 6hp and 84 8hp Johnsons? I do not mind spending extra for good motor products and better breathing while trolling.

lindy46

Captain
Once you're on the lake, you'll hardly notice an oil slick when running - it's just very obvious when running in a small barrel. My 3hp Lightwin (1958) just smokes a little and I never notice an oil slick when trolling. And I'm running a 16:1 ratio.