Air Silencer to Carb gasket

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
Is it possible to use permatex gasket maker where the carburetor and the air silencer meet ? Any draw backs to this ? Permatex has a sealant for 2 stroke motors , it appears like it might be OK ?

interalian

Commander
I wouldn't - don't want any liquid sealants anywhere near carbs. Most auto parts places sell gasket paper. Just get some about 1/16" thick and cut it out.

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
10-4 , the gaskets aren't that expensive , i was just trying to get around ordering them online . I appreciate the input , Thanks !

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If the carbs have the idle orifices in front there is a good chance the permatex will plug them

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Permetex #2 (non hardening) is soluble in gasoline. It will therefore soften and move around the carbs and can clog things up. Silicone caulk could be used on clean surfaces as it is not gasoline soluble, however, for your purpose, I would not recommend it either.

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
I ended up going and buying a roll of gasket material (rubber/cork) and cutting a new one out. Thanks for the advice , I'm sure it would be a head ache trying to get that permetex out of the carb once it got in there.