Lower unit and shifting question

G dog

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1984 Johnson 15 hp. that I just picked up. It is having trouble shifting into forward and reverse. Sometimes it shifts very smooth to both forward and reverse. Then other times it feels like the shift rod is binding and wont go into either gear unless I spin the prop a few revs. then it will shift. I dropped the lower unit to install a new impeller kit and noticed where the shift shaft connects both ends are bent at an angle. Is this the way it is supposed to be or is it supposed to be straight. I have only changed a few impellers and both the shift shafts were disconnected under the carbs. so I have nothing to compare. Also the drive shaft pulls completely out of the lower unit. I have the lower unit out of my 1981 Johnson 35 hp to change impeller also and the drive shaft does not come out. Should I be looking for a problem in that area? Hopefully someone that has knowledge of the gear system can help out with a little wisdom. Also when I drained the lower unit gear oil it was
bad. It was really thick and black but no evidence of water. Of course when I bought the engine it was one of those times when it shifted fine and the seller did not disclose the problem. Hopefully something easy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor must be running when shifting !!---------Or on a stand you must turn the propeller.-----And it is normal for the driveshaft to pull right out.-----And the driveshaft should also pull right out of the 35 HP motor too.------And yes the shift rod on the 84 model 15 HP has a bend on it.----That bend points forward when you are installing the lower unit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
G dog, you are overthinking. Nothing wrong with that, except it invites imagining problems that don't exist.

G dog

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you guys for the information. I am fairly new to the boating world and am learning a great deal and saving a lot of money by servicing the engines myself.This is a great place to learn. There is a lot of knowlage here. I did not want to start the engine until I changes the lower unit oil and impeller. Great news

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fill the lower unit from the bottom hole till it comes out the top.-----Motor in normal running position on a stand.

G dog

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I filled it from the bottom until it came out the top. I may run it for a wile and drain and fill it again because the fluid was so bad. I just finished installing the electric start so now I can run it. Im still waiting for my carb kit and fuel pump. Trout season opens on January 1st so Im trying to get ready. Thanks again

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
:smow:January 1st ?? to cold for me I prefer the freezer bins at Walmart … no worms needed :fish2: