1989 20hp Evinrue - Spun Prop or other issue?

sigpi906

Recruit
89 Evinrude 20hp on a 1436 Weldbilt (used for duck hunting). Motor starts great, idles, and runs well. After a little use after purchase, it felt like the boat was losing power while accelerating (like a gear slipping) even though the RPMs stayed the same... it was a jerking motion. I replaced the prop with a Solas. It ran great on 4 more outings through flooded timber, then started slipping again. I took the boat out again the next day, same prop, no slippage.
Boat goes out 2 days later and we can't get above a fast idle before the slipping starts. We moved weight forward and aft. The motor is low in the water (probably 3" lower than it should be). I marked the prop and hub before last outing, and the marks still line up, even with it feeling like it's spun.

I'm really at a loss here. All my symptoms say it's a spun prop, but the marks aren't moving on the prop/hub. I don't think it could be a ventilation issue, as it doesn't ever "grab" the water... it just keeps lurching, but the rpms never change and the motor sounds great.

What am I missing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say that the motor is running on just one cylinder.------Time to do some trouble shooting.-----Post compression test results.----Check for strong spark on both leads.

sigpi906

Recruit
Spun prop but marks on hub still line up?

89 Evinrude 20hp on a 1436 Weldbilt (used for duck hunting). Motor starts great, idles, and runs well. After a little use after purchase, it felt like the boat was losing power while accelerating (like a gear slipping) even though the RPMs stayed the same... it was a jerking motion. I replaced the prop with a Solas. It ran great on 4 more outings through flooded timber, then started slipping again. I took the boat out again the next day, same prop, no slippage.
Boat goes out 2 days later and we can't get above a fast idle before the slipping starts. We moved weight forward and aft. The motor is low in the water (probably 3" lower than it should be). I marked the prop and hub before last outing, and the marks still line up, even with it feeling like it's spun.

I'm really at a loss here. All my symptoms say it's a spun prop, but the marks aren't moving on the prop/hub. I don't think it could be a ventilation issue, as it doesn't ever "grab" the water... it just keeps lurching, but the rpms never change and the motor sounds great.

What am I missing?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please don't start more than one thread on the same issue.

This doesn't sound like a prop problem. A spun prop doesn't lurch and jerk.

Start with Racer's suggestions.

sigpi906

Recruit
Thanks Racer. Sorry GA Boater.

I'll head to the store this evening and buy a compression gauge.

Just to be clear on the "lurching"... it feels exactly like if you were driving down the road accelerating and you threw the car in neutral for a minute. Let off the throttle and it "catches" again and you feel the prop grab it jumps forward until it slips again either immediately, or as soon as you put the throttle to it.

I've replaced the plugs and wires, so compression test will happen tonight or tomorrow.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Hull issue, maybe. If you have flooring, might be water sloshing back and forth under the floor -- running over one of those sunken timbers might have broken open a weld. Transom flexing might give you symptoms, if applicable.