johnson 70 vro

iisindpink

Recruit
my Johnson wont make full throttle it just stops revving at near full throttle doesn't cut out but I have to throttle back then up again to get it back to upper revs. I have read a very good post on this site I think it was posted by seahorse,in which he states that you should not use cable ties on the fuel line or jubilee clips as they can cause air leaks, my engine has cable ties on all the joints I lost count at 15 so it would be quite a task to renew them all ,does anyone know if this could be the cause of my problem,when its running as high as it will rev and I push the key in (excess fuel)it will rev higher for just a second or so before choking. any help gratefully accepted,thanks. iisindpink

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would look at your throttle cable or throttle stop. Very possible you are over rotating the carbs

iisindpink

Recruit
thanks very much for your help ,yes I understand what you mean , but last year when I last used the boat it revved much higher and got up on the plane easier so ? I have found an old jubilee clip on the fuel connection to the engine and wonder if that could cause an air leak,if not what else could cause these symptoms, Thanks for reading this post

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 Johnson 70 horse with cable ties on all the carb fuel lines , I've never had an issue . Its important to make sure they are cable ties that are designed for fuel lines.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Cable ties.should not be used on any of the fuel/oil lines to t he VRO. Spring clamps ,Oetiker clamps and factory clamps are the only thing that should be used.