evinrude 85 crank wont turn but not seized

wannabewelder

Seaman
Hi all, have a 85hp evinrude with VRO crank won't turn. I pulled heads and #2 and #4 seem to move 1/8" back and fourth but 1&3 won't. Bores are clean, cross hatch good, the pistons wiggle side to side. Was wondering about possible wrist pin jammed in ports or piston ring cracked. Ultimately needs a tear down and check rod sizing in case the previous owner had a pipe on the crankshaft. No rust. Just wondering what I may be getting into?
I was going to drop the foot and check pump (will do impeller anyway) but #3 seems to be the issue. Anybody been there yet? Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
First step is to drop the lower unit to determine if the jamming is due to a lower unit problem or to the powerhead.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hm.m.m, so two pistons move 1/8" and other two not at all? Very interesting. Seems impossible without catastrophic bearing failure. Be sure to let us know what you find.

interalian

Commander
Is this the same motor that was running and made 130lb/hole two weeks ago?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The poster talked about an 85 HP hydro-electric with 130 PSI in all 4 holes .----Just last week I believe.----So now he has a motor with VRO ??

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The poster talked about an 85 HP hydro-electric with 130 PSI in all 4 holes .----Just last week I believe.----So now he has a motor with VRO ??

Leesee now.... with hydro electric, that would be a V4 of 1969 thru 1972 vintage... yeah, that confuses me a bit. :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It be impossible for the wrist pin to stick in the ports !!-----Water in the lower unit and frozen can jam a motor.

wannabewelder

Seaman
First step is to drop the lower unit to determine if the jamming is due to a lower unit problem or to the powerhead.

Joe, good call. I had jumped the gun in pulling the heads....MAYBE. Lower unit is junk.I should have pulled it first since that doesn't cost anything. I am still left with the question why 2 pistons have more travel 1&2 vs 3&4 just incase I posted incorrectly earlier. They move better now but imo all 4 should have moved the same. Guess I'll dial indicate with foot off.

The last one I did I pulled the lower off to find the impeller was upside down just like I think you were getting at. Then I found needle bearings on top of the piston and parts of block near 3" floating around.
I SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE HEADS ON [this one]....it's probably fine.

Last edited:

wannabewelder

Seaman

I found it. Yes. I have 2 motors. The 130psi test was for a vintage boat.
The motor that has seized I posted incorrectly it is a 90hp Johnson with VRO. I tried to find the serial on it unsuccessfully. It is grey, has VRO and I did notice a plastic vent out of the gearcase I don't have onE my 89 Johnson that went bang after somebody put the impeller in upside down (but it was CHEAP), I was hoping to install that gearcase on the new motor.
Thanks again for your help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----There are some gearcases that supply pressure to a speedometer !!----Not sure why you would think vacuum here.----posting pictures is a good idea too.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Joe, Lower unit is junk.I should have pulled it first since that doesn't cost anything. I am still left with the question why 2 pistons have more travel 1&2 vs 3&4 just in case I posted incorrectly earlier.

There is a point of crankshaft travel where the up/dn movement is at rest with thec/rods moving sideways... very slight but it is there.

wannabewelder

Seaman
???----There are some gearcases that supply pressure to a speedometer !!----Not sure why you would think vacuum here.----posting pictures is a good idea too.

The hood seems to be consistent with an 84. When I was looking at the parts schematics I wasn't seeing the plastic nipple on the foot. I'll have another go at it. Lost my mem stick for the camera last month. Should just break down and get a new one.

wannabewelder

Seaman
There is a point of crankshaft travel where the up/dn movement is at rest with thec/rods moving sideways... very slight but it is there.

I've done cars for many years, not disputing you but it just seems weird. Plus I don't know how hard the previous owner turned it and with how big a pipe. That being said, we launch it in Black Creek which is 283' above Lake Ontario. Saw too many people die in the Niagara River/ Falls. My boss was one of them but that was from his boat landing on top of him which is different dilemma than stalling. Thanks Joe.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Why weird???? Even auto connecting rods does this but only occurs when pistons are at TDC