Evinrude 85 HP White smoke

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Got the 1972 85HP Evinrude started. Runs good so far except for a cloud of white exhaust coming off of it. I have the gas mixed 50:1. Any ideas what I could do to it to cut the white smoke down?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Run it some more. If it has been sitting and took a while to get started, extra oil may have collected in the crankcase.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps due to local atmospheric conditions.------What is the temperature and humidity at your location ?-----Do not change the mix ratio !

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Today it is 68 degrees today. I haven’t got it out on the water yet, just been running it with muffs in the driveway I run it for about 5 to 10min. The white smoke hasn’t slowed down yet. The guys I got the boat from said he was out on the lake about 2 months ago. I’m just wondering if the white smoke is something more serious.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Unlike a 4 stroke, 2 strokes often smoke.

Not familiar with your motor, but it doesn't have VRO does it?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is it white smoke like steam -- dissipates in the air fairly quickly?

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Here is some pics of what I am seeing. The smoke takes a while to disappear. I did notice some oil running down the shaft.

Attachments

• photo303741.jpg
    photo303741.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303742.jpg
    photo303742.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That's pretty typical for an engine that has been run conservatively (trolling for example). It looks like you are burning off a lot of unburned fuel. I'm not a big supporter of decarbing, but you might check out the products at the local auto parts store. If you drop the l.u., you might be able to clean up some of the stuff with a pressure washer up the leg. Other than that, just running it in the lake at planing speeds will help. The motor has to operate at the proper temperature (around 140F or a little higher if at speeds). If running cold, you will get the unburned fuel buildup. An infrared gun is a good investment to see if t.stats are working right.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It is supposed to smoke. That's where the oil you put in the gas goes. And/or out the exhaust as unburned oil. Get it off that hose and out on the lake and run it harder to burn off the crud that has collected, and you will find it becomes cleaner.. At least till you go hose cruising again.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Ah, Mosquito Control at its finest. A good TCW-3 oil smells sweet too. Brings back memories:)

That black goo. If it smells like gear oil, then you might need to reseal the gearcase, If if smells like gas/oil, run the snot out of it. As previously mentioned it needs cleaning out. A couple of cans of Engine Tuner, or other decarb will help clean the rings/grooves

Last edited:

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
Well I was able to get the boat on the water today and after launching the boat I would give it and gas and it just wasn’t moving and acted like it was trying to but just couldn’t get going. After messing with it for a few minutes we either found an air control or a gas control on the front the the motor. When we pushed it all the way in the smoke stoped and it ran like a champ. Idled a little fast but I can adjust that I think. I also found out that the reverse does not work so I am ordering a new selector switch for that. I was pleased after being on the water for about an hour and running it hard there was no smoke and no oil dripping. Thank you all for your help. This is my first boat and motor and it’s been a huge learning experience .

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It sounds like you have and electric gearcase, with push button controls. If so, do a couple of searches here on maintenance and repair. Sounds like progress, although not sure what you are describing (sounds like the choke, maybe.)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You are ordering a " new " switch ?----Big money item.----Best to do some inspection first.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Might just be a disconnected wire. As Racer said "Big Money Item", if you can find one. Yours, is a Hydro-Electric Shift, not an Electric Shift. The switches are different for each type, though they look very much the same and have the same connector. Make sure you get the correct one

pleasantman

Seaman Apprentice
I'm sure its the switch. I have tested it and the reverse is gone. According to the model number of the motor 85293R here is a picture of the switch I need. I also found one on ebay. Here is also a picture of my switch. I am missing some parts to mount it but I ordered those last week. I am looking at ordering the switch this afternoon and any other parts I need.

Attachments

• photo303456.jpg
    photo303456.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303821.png
    photo303821.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303822.jpg
    photo303822.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You pic shows some parts missing on the throttle cable.