Johnson 9.9 J10RCSE Lost Spark

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1980 Johnson 9.9 that was running great this summer, started easily and ran strong. Then last outing it quit suddenly.

Tried it again today, started up but died after a few seconds, then no spark at all.

Is there a sensible way to trouble shoot that ignition system? I could track it down if it had points but the power pack baffles me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are some on here who appear to despise motors with points etc.----Saying that they are unreliable.-----I would say that if you have no spark just try a new powerpack.----That usually fixes the problem.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Disconnect the kill button and see if that changes anything. How have you tested for spark? Does it jump a 7/16" gap? Nobody despises the points set up they can just appreciate how good the OMC cdi system is. Racerone himself has said how good the cdi system is he must be forgetting what he tells people.

tomhath

I've ordered a new power pack and spark plugs.

The fact that it started and ran for a few seconds then had no spark at all makes me think that after 38 years the old one has given up. Can't complain too much.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Good choice, imo. If it turns out the problem is something else, you have an extra pack for future testing.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Is there a sensible way to trouble shoot that ignition system? I could track it down if it had points but the power pack baffles me.

Yes. See posts #3 and #4.

If you prefer not to follow suggestions from some experts and to go "cross-country", you are off to a good start.:)
What is that power-pack worth? Certainly $100- plus, and may not be your problem.

If the power-pack does not sort out your problem, just get a parts list and diagram and replace items until you get lucky....worst case about another $500- plus......unless it is a wiring issue; and you would only sort that out by effective troubleshooting....such as in...ummmm... posts #3 and #4....:)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
geeez, Tim. Sound like the church lady! :):)

CDI systems are particularly nice if you have some plug and play parts on the shelf, suburban boater or traveller. I usually manage that with a collection of parts motors and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Paulywog0667

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you try taking off a regulator/rectifier if it charges your battery? If those ground bad, you lose spark. They're like $20.00 and take the two a.c. leads and convert them to d.c. to charge the battery/run electronics, etc.

Paulywog0667

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They're usually tied into the bus bar close to the powerpack. If you have one on a motor, it's the cheapest process of elimination since it only charges the battery. If its diodes, or grounded out, all the a.c. is lost to ground creating false readings everywhere. Sometimes taking it off gets you spark and running, but won't charge the battery until you get a new one.

Attachments

• photo303658.jpg
    photo303658.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did you try taking off a regulator/rectifier if it charges your battery? If those ground bad, you lose spark. They're like $20.00 and take the two a.c. leads and convert them to d.c. to charge the battery/run electronics, etc.

Where in this post does it say that motor has a charging system? And even if it did the charging system and ignition are 2 separate systems in those motors. Actually that is true of Most of the 2 strk OMC/BRP motors.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Tom -- If you have an outboard shop around, preferably the old fashioned kind, they might let you borrow a shop CD2 power pack to see if that's your problem. Buy a jug of 2-cycle from them.

tomhath

It seemed like an electronic component going bad because it would have spark and run for a few seconds then die with no spark. In my experience that's often the sign of a capacitor/condenser breaking down as it heats up.

Put the new power pack in, figured worst case would be that I'd have a spare if that wasn't the problem. Pulled the rope a few times and no sign of it wanting to start so I gave it a shot of fogging oil. Sputtered for a second but still didn't run. Was almost ready to let guys here say "told you so" when it fired up, smoked for a little while as it cleared the oil, then settled down and ran fine. Ran it out of fuel then fogged it one last time and put it away for the winter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If it was my motor I'd give it one more run one more time and then fog it.

tomhath

If it was my motor I'd give it one more run one more time and then fog it.

Yeah - I'd like to give it a longer test, preferably out on the lake. But unfortunately that will have to wait until Spring. I ran it for several minutes and even revved it a little in the barrel before pulling the fuel connector, so I'm comfortable that it's good to go.