1973 Evinrude Triumph 65hp

Fizzlesticks

Cadet
Recent purchase, motor does run but only on ONE cylinder. Testing revealed loose wire for #2 Cylinder and checked good spark afterwards. Cylinder #1 still showing no spark. Even took the wires off #3 Cylinder and hooked them up to Cylinder #1 along with the known good spark plug, nothing, no spark at all. Wires, coil, spark plug, all checked with Ohm meter comparing values with the #3 Cylinder as that one I know is working. Compression check shows all three cylinders to be similar compression to each other.

Kind of stuck at this point, not sure where to go. Marine mechanic or is there more tests that I can do to determine why no spark on Cylinder #1? Looked at wiring on the motor itself and colored wires appear to all be going to the proper places.

Any help appreciated, new to boating but enjoy researching how to diagnose/fix all this as I'm retired with nothing but time on my hands.

Fizzlesticks

Cadet
Ordered a test light and will be testing the power pack to be sure all the coils are getting power from it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You cannot test the ignition system with a test light despite what the youtube video shows....use a meter. You can remove #1 org wire and put it on the pack terminal of a firing cylinder to test coil....

Fizzlesticks

Cadet
Awesome thanks for the tip!!! Yes, the video does show a test light but I'll have a meter as well. thanks!!