WSM Rebuild Kit For E-Tec

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Guys

I know the USA is a bigger place than Australia so i thought i would ask on here, Has anyone successfully used WSM pistons in there rebuild kit on any E-Tec or FICHT engine?

like to hear of people who are or have as i am rebuilding a 130hp E-Tec that cold seized and threw a rod, the rebuild kit is $1250 vs $2400 for OEM

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That's all I use and works great in Ficht and E-tec motors. How did you decide it was a cold seize???

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Faz i have a load of pics the piston grabbed the wall and rod snapped from running high rpm with a cold engine, it put out a starboard unable to reach operating temps code 2mins before it let go

smashed the engine to pieces

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Maybe it needs more than a rebuild kit.-----Tear it apart before ordering any parts.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Racer yeah its already torn down just waiting to order the rebuild kit, sleeve and new rod

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you determined what caused the so called " cold seizure " on this motor ?

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
We were under the assumption something entered the combustion chamber and got stuck between the piston and sleeve but i later ran the diagnostic and found it put out a code 2-3minutes before it blew

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Unless you have a machine shop the sleeve is not a DIY repair. 90% of piston failures on these motors are due to locating pin dropping out of piston, the second cause is pintle breaking on injector and entering cylinder and third is EMM/ECU/Injector problem causing cylinder to go lean while others are at RPM. Anytime you rebuild a 90degree looper replace ALL pistons no matter how good they look.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Faz i only just logged on and found i had a reply, the engine put out the unable to reach op temps than it reduced to 1500rpm for 1minute than it let go and ran for 1 minute

do u know of anyone in the US that can weld, machine and reharden journals? Shops in Aust are few and far between

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact ----The crankshaft is a precision piece of machinery.--------Welding will surely bend it.----Attempts to straighten it will likely be futile.------Look for a used crankshaft !!!-----Lots of them around.-----Non E-tec 60 degree cranks may / will fit too.