2000 70hp Johnson fuel pump?

I need help! We were boating a week ago on our pontoon with a 2000 70hp Johnson. We left a fishing spot and started speeding up when the motor chugged hard twice then quit. I tried to start with no luck, I squeezed the primer and it fired but would barely run above idle then I got a no oil alarm. So it seems to me a fuel pump/vro issue. If it’s not pumping fuel then it’s not pumping oil correct? The local shop told me a straight pump is upwards of $350 and I have to mod the bracket and premix, the bracket and premix are no issue but $350 for a pump? I can get a new vro for $400 neither of which I can afford right now. What do you guys think?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a pump available for around $100 or so.---Easy to install yourself.----Just ask the shop about a pump for say a 1983 model of that motor.

My current vro system has 4 wires that plug into a harness. Does this have those too? I’m not sure how it all works but I am mechanically incline to do it myself.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In 1983 they used a simple pump.----No wires of any kind.---Sad when your shop can not / will not help you with this.

Sam2001

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 Johnson 70 HP , I switched out the gas pump to a regular non oiling pump for $100.00 you can pick one up a complete package hoses,mounting bracket etc. Those VRO pumps can cause alot of problems and there very expensive to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam2001, could you post a link to such a kit? I’m not sure what I’m looking for and just want to get the right one.