Evinrude Selectric shift gets stuck in forward

HAPPII

Recruit
Ill start by saying this pain is self inflicted. After 45 years of service I decided to change the impeller and lower unit oil seals on my 1970 60 HP. In process of removing the gear carrier retainer bolts one of the Allen heads stripped. By the time I got it out I had broken the carrier, gouged a gear and carved some nasty trenches in the case. I attempted to resurface the case with JB Weld and sanded with a long shaft Dremel, taking pains to keep the dust on the prop side of the gear set. Installed replacement carrier and gear. Filled, flushed and refilled unit with new oil.

the engine will initially start in neutral and works in all gears. After running for 10 minutes and coasting to a stop it is stuck in forward - fail safe mode for hydraulic failure. Waiting about 10 minutes with motor off the sequence repeats. Starts in neutral, etc. but gets stuck in forward. Every time I drain the oil a small amount of grey sludge settles out. I believe that it is JB weld and it may be clogging the screen or shift valves. Assuming I’m not generating new contamination, is there a way to power flush the lower unit oil ? I’m thinking motor orientation and oil injection point (or vacuum) are variables.

thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
This "new" oil you filled the gearcase with... Was it the proper "Premium Blend", also know as "Type C"... or something else?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So you are saying it sometimes goes into neutral? I think you should check the voltages at the blue and green wires before digging into the gearcase again. If it is sludge clogging it up as you fear, it probably is jamming the shift piston in the oil pump. That is the part that is super critical when it comes to dirt.

HAPPII

Recruit
I used many quarts of new premium type C oil.
How do I do the wire check?

thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?/---Why many quarts??------Take the lower unit off.------Put it in a vice in normal running position.----Put negative to the case and 12 volts + from battery to green.----After one turn of driveshaft it should be in neutral.---With both green and blue with 12 volts it should be in reverse.-If not the lower unit needs repairs.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Easier first method: Slide the rubber insulators back on the cable leading down to the lower unit. Use a multimeter to check voltages on the wires (not disconnected) in all gear selections. Should be near 12V in all except Forward, which should be zero V. Repeat several times to detect an intermittent.

Next step depends on what you find with this.

HAPPII

Recruit
Reviewing expert recommendations, can I claim success by cycling F-N-R-N-F on land with ears on? It did not misbehave in 20 cycles. The problem I described is only in the water. Could I be chasing an electrical issue ?
Why would it misbehave only in the water ? Thermal suction combined with bad seals ? Pressure test ?
Looking more like a tear down is on the horizon. Any other thoughts ?

thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On land or in the water it should shift the same.-----Makes no difference to operation of solenoids / valves.