PLEASE HELP! 1978 Evinrude 200 on 1986 Bullet 19V

logan1297

Seaman Apprentice
I am almost completely rebuilding the lower unit on my 1978 Evinrude 200 including a new gear set. Does anyone know what the gear clearance is supposed to be on this model boat?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Need the pinion shimming tool to set up but need to take housing to a dealer that has a alignment tool. Cases over time especially those run at high heights and surfacing prop's warp and cause gear failure. I have thrown cases away that look brand new that failed alignment checking. Hate for you to install new gears in warped case and they fail again...

logan1297

Seaman Apprentice
Need the pinion shimming tool to set up but need to take housing to a dealer that has a alignment tool. Cases over time especially those run at high heights and surfacing prop's warp and cause gear failure. I have thrown cases away that look brand new that failed alignment checking. Hate for you to install new gears in warped case and they fail again...

So there are no exact measurements for this? And I have to purchase a shimming tool for this as well?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Have to use tool to set pinion height......Take driveshaft,pinon gear,top bearing and housing to a dealer and pay them to set height(30 minutes max) and empty housing to have alignment checked(30 minutes)and need pinion bearings installed.

logan1297

Seaman Apprentice
Have to use tool to set pinion height......Take driveshaft,pinon gear,top bearing and housing to a dealer and pay them to set height(30 minutes max) and empty housing to have alignment checked(30 minutes)and need pinion bearings installed.

Thanks Faztbullet I appreciate the info

logan1297

Seaman Apprentice
Got it all put back together...I was wondering what Gear Lube you guys would recommended for this year and hp?