Fuel Additives

Sts85s

Recruit
Hi all. My first time posting here. I have a 89 Johnson J50TLCEC. This was once a VRO but has since been professionally disconnected. I’m now running a 50-1 Johnson oil. My question is more with the ethanol in the gas. I was having problems with startup and idle. I was told to start using an additive, which I did. I’m currently using SeaFoam. I have seen a decent improvement in efficiency but seems like it could be much more! What do you guys recommend??

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I use E10 in everything because it is the cheapest. My opinion is that older rubber parts, older fuel lines, cork floats etc. will probably fail. But modern parts and internal motor parts should not be affected.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
E10 useage does result in a power and efficiency drop.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Anything strong enough to dissolve fuel varnish will do a job on old lines or gaskets -- and dump some of it in the carb, if using the solvent in the tank -- more of a problem than ethanol, imo.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The last couple of years, I fill up with a 50/50 mix of E10 and premium which around here has no ethanol in it and I put some seafoam in the tank, has improved performance, but I am still running fine with no problems, still has a smaller amount of ethanol and it brings the octane down some. It has worked out for me and my various boats this last few years.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Well, admit to using Heet and/or Techron periodically in my inboard -- that's in addition to whatever stabilizer is left from marina storage. I buy marina gas (said to be fresh premium/ethanol free) -- keeps the owner happy. Her fuel price is definitely premium.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sea foam is essentially 4-parts diesel fuel, 2 parts Naptha (paint thinner) and 1 part isopropyl alcohol.

simply running e10 fuel will clean better and not empty your wallet like snakeoil foam

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
never really had issues with ethanol in the fuel…for my outboards . I seal up my older engine floats with 2 coats of crazy glue (no issues yet …)

just my chainsaw fuel line (about 1/16 or 2/32) which did crumbled in one year or so

I use 2+4D in my ETEC 75hp e/w with a side fuel water separator filter (SEA SENSE)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
sea foam is essentially 4-parts diesel fuel, 2 parts Naptha (paint thinner) and 1 part isopropyl alcohol.

simply running e10 fuel will clean better and not empty your wallet like snakeoil foam

It doesn't stink like diesel,

A non alcohol infected gas will run with more power and not cause problems like E10 will

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It doesn't stink like diesel,

A non alcohol infected gas will run with more power and not cause problems like E10 will

yes it will. E10 alone drops power output between 3-4% on most vehicles, more as the ethanol slowly breaks down.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
A bottle of octane booster cost a buck. Every thing here gets some frequently. Remembering Scott's statement (No repair kit in a can)!

sportsman47

Cadet
I use Star tron in my truck and boat.Truck (96 Chevy 5.7) with 254k miles. boat is 83 Johnson 25hp. Both seem to run just fine, and start real easy.

interalian

Commander
Ethanol has higher "octane" (I.E knock resistance) than gasoline, but has fewer BTUs per unit volume. You'll burn more fuel running E10 than unpolluted gasoline.

I would never run Sea Foam in anything.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
After reading these comments I’m considering switching from E10 to regular gas.

Regular gas is a good bit more expensive than filling up a service station on the way. Have a couple of question to help justify the cost:

1997 Evinrude Ocean Pro-200HP, 2 stroke

1. The motor is tested on a dyno every fall as a PM measure. It has tested 216-217hp the last 3 seasons.

How much of a gain in HP should I expect switching to regular gas?

2. With the tuna here, I’ve been running 45-50 mlles offshore before trolling. Currently leaving the dock between 3:30-4:00 am to be on the fishing grounds when the sun comes up.

How much time and fuel would I save switching to regular gas?

3. I’ve had phase issues twice in 12 years. Both times traced to a single occurrence of rain water getting in through the vent of self venting gas cap during a tropical storm. The problem was resolved by adding a riser kit provided by the OEM. Still lost a couple of days “vacuuming” the water off the bottom of the tank

Would the use of regular gas or an additive prevented the fuel from separating?

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If the Ethanol fuel treatment with stabilizer actually does prevent phase separation (does not address actual water intrusion, that's the boat owner's responsibility), I don't think the performance benefit outweighs the + 0.40 a gallon or more for 89 or 91 Ethanol free gas IF the fuel delivery system is adequately protected against Ethanol breaking down the parts.

Now, I use Ethanol free gas currently for my lawn equipment because I don't want to deal with replacing fuel parts in the carb & fuel line, etc.

Don't have a boat yet to watch money burn at the gas pump, that's in the intermediate term plan. Depends on whether what I get I/O or outboard can be fixed to be Ethanol damage resistant or not. Sterndrive is easy, outboard seems like you're more dependent on hearsay if the parts are Ethanol resistant or not.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Bought gas and diesel this morning. 87 octane $2.37. O/R diesel $2.44. To me it's changing filters. They are cheap; most are easy to replace;and might save a engine.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Is e10 ethanol?
and do all grades of gas have ethanol?
I've been running the cheap stuff should I switch to premium gas?
i do add stabil to my gas
And now that have it for ethanol also
After reading all this I'm confused

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Yup, E10 is ethanol, in some states premium does not have it, over the years it has been said ethanol can eat parts on older engines, ethanol fuels does not burn with the same amount of BTU's that 100% gas burns at.

The reason I mix fuel is to cut down on the E10 and it boosts the octane a bit over regular.

The argument about if it does or does not has been going on for years, some people say it is detrimental to old outboards and some say it is not, a good many parts these days are actually being made to withstand the effects of E10

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Things I found digging around on the subject, Phase separation occurs, when water bonds with the ethanol and settles below the gasoline in bottom of tank. E10 If allowed to sit up for long periods can absorb moisture from air in humid climates, especially in aluminum tanks. When E10 87 octane gas is blended, they start with 85 octane gas and the ethanol added brings it up to 87 octane. Ethanol degrades faster than gas, so over time as ethanol suffers degradation the tank you filled with 87 octane is now 86, maybe 85 octane. I use ethanol free gas with stabill added in my Blue Wave because of the 26 gal built in aluminum tank that never gets emptied completely and sits idle sometimes. For my flat boat with a portable tank , I prefer ethanol free, but if l use E 10, I just up it to 89 octane and use stabill.