1954 johnson 10 hp qd-15 was sparking and now its not! Houdini qd-15

qd-15 steve

Recruit
Hello fellow mariners!
I have an issue im hoping to help solve and it has been driving my crazy since I can solve this problem!

just started working on my grandfathers old qd-15. noticed it 25 years ago at his camp at east grand lake in NB canada that it wasnt working. since his passing, i have sheltered the motor in my garage for the past two years out of the cold Canada elements.
So I opened the top and tested compression. perfect in both cylinders but no spark. Pulled the flywheel and replaced the coils. I was able to get a spark in both cylinders just by hand turning the flywheel and i was excited. I converted the fuel system to a pulse pump and got a new gas line and can. perfect!
So i placed the engine in the water and pulled a couple times and it started to sputter. it would run rough for 5 seconds and shut off. Then it sputtered less and less and less. I noticed that every time i tried to start the motor, the handle would turn on its own. didnt think anything of it. kept trying to start it till no sputtering at all. Pulled the plugs and tested and now no spark at all.!! WWWHHAATT!!!
I was surely confused.
So i pulled the flywheel off again and i noticed that the top of the coils were worn which means i didnt have them set right. So I reset and tried it again. no spark. So i disassembled and sand all points and connections. no spark. I went online and bought 2 new coils again. Installed thinking this would work. no spark. So i decided to replace the points and condensers. set the points with a mechanic buddy of mine to the perfect .020. this was the shining moment with new plugs. nothing. no spark!!!!!!!
last night I replaced the ignition wires. no spark. but it wasnt a conventional wire with a steel core like i was use to. so im going to try different wires.
After that i can only think that when i was pulling on the motor, since it the flywheel was hitting the coils, I was actually weakening the magneto in the flywheel. the problem i have is that I just cant run down to my local NAPA and get a Sierra flywheel and slap it in.
So how can I charge my flywheel magneto? I live in Southern Maine and am willing to travel to get this thing charged or buy one off some one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It is NOT a magnets problem. Flywheel magnets made since WW-II are permanent and simply do not go bad. Period.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need wires with metal core.-------Sure that wires from coils go to the correct points?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
+1 on the metal core wires. Use the old ones if no access to replacements (check for continuity end to end). If concerned about the magnets just dangle a screwdriver near them and they will likely grab it.

With one of the coils facing your chest, points and condenser for that coil will be on the right. Coil closest to the carb is for the top carb, rear coil for the bottom. Run wires accordingly. Make sure you have good core contact at the coils and in the plug boots (spring connector spike in contact with the wire).

sutterhome

Recruit
your coils are rubbing on the flywheel a tad, this will cause your throttle to turn, usually down towards idle.