Will not start

jeff68981

Cadet
1995 Johnson 150 OceanRunner J150 EXEOM

Carbs rebuilt 1/2017 110 compression all cylinders great spark

Would not start then will start for a few seconds cuts right off blue smoak. Finally after squirting in carb cleaner starting running for a few minutes the cut off. Got it to stay running after a while took to lake and it ran perfect.

A couple days later tried cranking on muffs toof forever to start but only ran a few seconds will not start at all now. Fuel bulb is hard. Ani ideas?

Lewis1111

Seaman
Does it start every time the carb cleaner is sprayed into the carbs? How did you check for spark? With the plugs out hooked up to a gap tester....might be sparking initially but with the plugs in and the wires on it's not.

Engine only needs 3 things to start..Compression /fuel/spark....narrow it down to which one is the culprit and start trouble shooting that circuit.

jeff68981

Cadet
Yes it did when I sprayed it only for about 30 seconds will eventualy stay running after I squirt enough into it. Yes plugs out hooked to gap tester.

Lewis1111

Seaman
I would be leaning to a fuel delivery issue then. Most likely through the idle circuit of those carbs, it doesn't take much to plug them up.

Did the boat sit for a long period of time? More then a couple months without any stabilizer in the fuel?

jeff68981

Cadet
es it did sit up for a while with out stabilizer from the person I bought it from. Only had it as month. I put fresh fuel in and ran a can of seafoam through it

Lewis1111

Seaman
Seafoam allot of times won't clean those little ports properly. Sounds like your going to have to pull those carbs and give them a quick clean again. Probably won't need all new kits if they were done last time around just be carefully with the gaskets.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Is your cold start primer working? Your motor should also have Quickstart which increases RPM when engine is cold. Is that working?

jeff68981

Cadet
I hear the solenoid click when I push in the choke. For the heck of it went and tried again about an hour later started right up. Pulled the plugs to look at them.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Stop using carb cleaner as starting fluid. It WILL destroy the motor.

jeff68981

Cadet
Well got it to finally keep running. Took it to the lake and it ran great no hesitation ect. Past 3 days will not start again. It will only run for a few seconds and shut right off lots of blue smoke. Checked compression again same 110 across the board and good spark. IS it possoble a hole in the fuel pump side diaphragm? IS there a way to find out with out taking it apart? I am at a lost

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Cap off the outgoing side of the fuel pump and then pump the primer bulb and see if it will hold pressure.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Loose oil cap in boat....sound like carbs are slowly filling with oil(blue smoke)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
They had some that would let the oil tank build up pressure and oil would go into the carbs. You could either loosen the cap or get a new one.

jeff68981

Cadet
Replaced cap on oil tank no difference. Tried again and it would just turn over never started not even for a few seconds. Got a bottle filled with fuel mixed in oil and squirted into carbs started for a few seconds cut right off lots of smoke. will stay running if I keep squirting the gas into the carbs. Once I stop spraying cuts off.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
Easy enough to just remove a carb bottom plug or two to see if carb bowls are full of oil? You will have your problem then. We can debate cause if you find pure oil in carb bowls.

jeff68981

Cadet
Decided to go try again I pumped up primer bulb put in run position pushed choke for about 5 seconds then let go and turned to start tried to start so I advanced the throttle just a bump in neutral and it started just when it was about to die I pushed in choke stayed running let go when it tried to di again I pushed in choke after about a minute it stayed running nice and smooth. Ran it up to the lake started with a bump of the key and it ran so good. got home and put on muffs started with a bump of the key. Going to see what it does after sitting over night.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Pump up primer until hard. Hold key in choke position and crank her until she starts. Quickstart should come on and rev motor to about 1200RPM. You can use some choke to keep her running, if you need to,

After idle slows to 850RPM or so, motor is warm and ready to run.