Losing Power after couple hours on water - 1964 Johnson Outboard

pen-xv

Cadet
1964 Johnson 60 Horse Outboard.

A lot of new parts, but hoping to receive some ideas on the next troubleshooting steps:

The engine fires up quite easily, runs well. After getting out of the water, all plugs are burning clean; no carbon buildup. Boat planes out well, gets to top speed. Once the engine warms up, I lose a couple MPH. It will run like this for awhile, until later in the day, I can barely plow up river. What might cause this gradual decrease in power over the course of the day?

New plugs, new wires, magneto rebuild, new reeds, carb rebuilt, new fuel filter, new head gaskets, new primer bulb, .

Troubleshooting thus far: Ran engine in bucket up to operating temperature. Sprayed starting fluid around carb, intake, and heads, looking for an air leak. Didn't find anything. Compression test while hot. I have low compression in Cylinder one (top portside), but it's only down about 8 pounds. The compression reading doesn't change whether hot or cold (I was expecting a huge drop in compression once hot). Also ran on two different tanks with the same results. Couple of cans of Seafoam ran through. Pulled plugs for examination. All look to be burning perfectly (no buildup).

If you were me, what would be your next step (don't say "buy a new engine" :-D )?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Buy a new engine. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Seriously, I suspect the coil or the distributor rotor. The rotors sometimes arc through to the shaft. Just a pin-hole or less and barely visible.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What do you mean by " magneto rebuild "----New coil / points / condenser ?-----Timing of belt, crankshaft to magneto checked and correct ?------New water pump impeller ?----And what are the actual compression numbers ?

pen-xv

Cadet
Buy a new engine. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Seriously, I suspect the coil or the distributor rotor. The rotors sometimes arc through to the shaft. Just a pin-hole or less and barely visible.

I didn't think about the ignition coil. Probably a good idea to replace that anyway!

pen-xv

Cadet
What do you mean by " magneto rebuild "----New coil / points / condenser ?-----Timing of belt, crankshaft to magneto checked and correct ?------New water pump impeller ?----And what are the actual compression numbers ?

Magneto rebuild = points, condenser, and rotor. Points are properly gapped. Timing is correct as well (only one way to time it; a couple of notches align on flywheel and magneto pully). Installed impeller maybe two years ago? Could probably put another one in, but boat is throwing plenty of water and not overheating.

Compression is 60 psi in each cylinder. A bit above 50 in the "low compression" cylinder (maybe 52 - 55 lbs).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove bypass covers to inspect pistons and rings.----Or test compression with a " known to be good " gauge.----Those numbers are low.