Questions about 1998 (90) hp Evinrude motor cranking???

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I went out to day for the holiday to run the boat with the family and had problems with boat motor! The motor would not crank even though primed and chocked. The motor ran flawlessly last weekend. In the course of trying to get it to start, i burnt up a new stater. One thing I noticed today which might be normal? When trying to use fast idle (the style i have is the one where you push it in on the throttle and engage the throttle once the fast idle bottom is pushed). When doing this with the motor not running it want crank. Is this normal for the motor to not crank with this design fast idle until the motor is cranked? Also i cant believe i have burned up (2) starters when trying to crank the motor! Any help would be great! Oh how i dislike a 2 stroke cold natured motor,

interalian

Commander
By "crank" do you mean "start"? For most, crank means the motor is being rotated by the starter in an attempt to start it.

Off
Crank
Start
Run

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes crank the starter engages the flywheel but doesn't run or fire up.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
We need a model #.Those motors are not cold blooded how are you starting it? Are you saying the starter cranks when you push the high idle button? The cold start procedure for that motor if it is a cabureted model is as follows. You should not be burning up starters on those motors. Have you done a compression and spark test.

#1 pump primer ball on gas line until hard.
#2 Move high idle lever forward until you feel resistance.
#3 push key in and start the motor hold key in until motor starts.
#4 let motor warm up you may have to adjust the high idle lever for this. Either faster or slower.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If starter motor does not crank when throttle advance is used you have am issue. Either you are not actually getting it into throttle advance or your neutral safety switch or throttle advance button is bad.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To answer the questions asked! I prime the fuel bulb, back down Into the water. Turn the key to on and push it in for 10 seconds then crank. Idk if I am crazy but I was upset so I don’t remember but I believe when I advanced high throttle that the boat would not crank with it advanced. On this model motor you push in the on the center of the throttle a little plastic piece that allows the shifter to be moved forward but not in gear. The motor ran great last weekend but not this weekend. To say the motor is cold natured is 100% true. I burned up the starter as it was smoking and would not turn the flywheel anymore.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
Actually since we don't know what motor we are dealing with (cross flow or 60 degree) yet starting procedures are different. 60degree motor has QuickStart & would rather be started with no throttle. Yes it should be primed with key pushed in until it fires & maybe additional priming? Your initial starting issue could be because you are not getting the controls into the neutral position? If it is a concealed side mount control as you mentioned you push in the center button & advance the throttle. Control should move easily. If it shifts the motor will not crank (start in gear protection).
After the motor has started you may speed the engine up in neutral if you prefer, but should not be necessary.
If your motor is a cross flow design then the proper procedure has been explained above.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You said turn key on and push in for ten seconds then crank. Pushing key in while not turning over doesn't work. You should turn key on and push in while cranking until motor starts or pops. On my 1996 88 spl I don't use warm up lever; I pump ball until hard, Turn on key and push in while cranking until motor starts. If motor sounds like it might want to kill I quickly push key in again and let go and rpms temporarily increase slightly, sometimes I may have to push in key more than once to keep it running for warm up.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The model number of the motor is as followed. Evinrude # E90TSLECM... It is a 98 model 90hp where you have to mix oil with gas which i do at 50:1 ratio.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is the older style cross flow motor. It is not uncommon to raise the throttle some for hot or cold starts on those motors. As previously mentioned the primer bulb should be pumped up, but you should also hold the key in while cranking. This is like choking the motor. When it fires you can still hold it in for a few seconds. Don't be afraid of flooding the motor. They like fuel when cold.
On a concealed side mount control (I believe you said you had one) the center button has to be depressed in order to disengage the shift mechanism so the throttle can be advanced. Pumping doesn't do anything. Establish a procedure that works for you & your motor. Reaping that procedure will help you start the engine consistently, hot or cold.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been trying to do so but i keep burning up staters on the boat. With that said i didn't know to hold the key in while trying to crank it as i was worried about flooding it. I still cant recall if i am able to advance high throttle before the motor is cranked up and running? I don't know if that is normal or not?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nowhere near a pro here and you seem well covered in help..
One thing I didn't see mentioned regarding burning up starters...
Only engage the starter for 5 seconds or so at a time..
Do that 2 maybe 3 times and if still not starting, give it a few minutes to cool down...

I have NO idea if you're doing this or not, but do NOT hold the key in start for 30 seconds to minutes at a time...
that WILL kill starters(as far as I know) and drain batteries quick too...

Maybe you're not doing that.. You probably already know this... lol

Heck, these folks already helping can clarify times, but I've never "Cranked" it trying to start for more than about 5 seconds etc..

Just figured I'd throw it out there just in case..
(Better to have been said and already known, than not known, and never been said, right? :D)