Buddy is looking at a 2000, 200 HP 2 stroke Evinrude, has a question.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Neither of us have Evinrude experience. He was told that OMC had some issues around 2000. We have no idea what that really means. Is this a motor he should stay away from. I told him an 18 year old motor isn't really old for a Marine engine, my Mariners are 95'. Good compression, lower gear lube is clean and runs well and quiet on the garden hose. The motor is on a stand so it can't be tested under load. Thanks ahead of time Scott.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a DFI (direct fuel injection). Good motor, but I would want it checked out before I bought it. At least a boat ride, compression test, etc. depends on price, but anyone selling you something in good shape shouldn't mond that you want to check things out. Electronic parts for these newer motors are expensive. Any make!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Is that the last of the ficht?By the end they were actually fairly good and not to be a smartass but its been running since 2004.A few years ago a fella took his brand new 250hp 4 stroke yammy out for the first run and was towed back in with the motor in hundreds of pieces,things can happen even to brand new.Buy on condition that it can be taken in and checked out and get it in writing unless you know and trust the seller.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Is that the last of the ficht?By the end they were actually fairly good and not to be a smartass but its been running since 2004.A few years ago a fella took his brand new 250hp 4 stroke yammy out for the first run and was towed back in with the motor in hundreds of pieces,things can happen even to brand new.Buy on condition that it can be taken in and checked out and get it in writing unless you know and trust the seller.

A had a buddy that bought a brand spanking new Isuzu 4X4 in the late 90's, by the time he got the truck home the engine blew. Not a drop of oil in it.