TJ40ELESR is possessed.

tloc1000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think my motor is possessed. It runs great one weekend and then the next weekend it won’t run. It seems to not be getting fuel but i can’t see what the difference between weekends could be. I put on a new fuel pump, filter, all new fuel lines and cleaned out the carbs and it was running great. I did all of this and it’s been running great with about 20 hours on it since all the work. The only think i did different from last weekend is add fuel.

I think she she just doesn’t want to go fishing...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You start with posting more information and you may get to the bottom of the issue.----What are the compression numbers ?---Do you raise " throttle only " lever for starting ?---Do you push in the key while cranking it over , yes or no ?----How long have you owned it ?----When did it run / start properly for you ?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
50:1 mix. What about the fuel filter? Is that an inline filter that you added, in addition to the filter screen at the pump?

(You might try running without the inline filter.)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Check for water in your gas, too. Hat can lead to all sorts of intermittent issues.

tloc1000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You start with posting more information and you may get to the bottom of the issue.----What are the compression numbers ?---Do you raise " throttle only " lever for starting ?---Do you push in the key while cranking it over , yes or no ?----How long have you owned it ?----When did it run / start properly for you ?

I got the boat and motor late last summer. It was not running. Compression is 120 on both cylinders, I checked the spark with a spark light and last fall I replaced all the fuel lines, changed out the VRO with a fuel pump, changed the inline fuel filter, and cleaned the carbs . It was running great and over the winter I put about 20 hours on the motor. I did have to adjust the idle mix screws once but I have been out multiple times without adjusting since. The last time I went out was weekend before last . She sat last weekend and this weekend she wouldn't stay running .

The choke is not working. This is my normal start routine. I flip the manual switch and crank till she fires, flip the switch down and give about 1\2-3\4 trottle and she fires up. I keep it throttled up for about 20-30 seconds then she idles great . Once she is warmed up, I don't have to use the choke . Last time I was out, I was trolling about 2-3 mph and turned her off and restarted multiple times. Had 0 problems.

This weekend, I added fuel (50:1 mix) drove to the lake, did my normal starting routine but after the crank with choke, it would fire off for about 3 seconds and die. I tried adjusting the idle mix screws but it did the same thing every time.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The electric primer valve opens up when key is pushed in.----Fuel at pressure is injected into the intake manifold.----Normally you would push the key in while cranking and push key in as needed to keep it from stalling..----If you need to use it manually you may be able to find a setting with the red lever to allow it to start and warm up without stalling.----The mixture screws should be adjusted for proper idle / acceleration and then left alone.

tloc1000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got it to run with the solinoid lever up and about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. When I flip the switch down, the rpms go up when the lever is half way between up and down, and when the lever is all the way down the engine dies. So that means the fuel is bypassing the carbs? Or does that mean the carb setting is too lean?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need to revisit carburetor work.----The high speed jet ( orifice plug ) found in the carburetor bowl MUST be clean.----Often these are overlooked.

tloc1000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took the bottom carb off and the float bowl was empty. If I remember correctly the last time I took the carbs apart they had fuel in the bowls. I unscrewed the bolt at the bottom front of the top carb and no fuel came out either.

tloc1000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took both carbs off and cleaned all the jets with a small wire. Put it all back together and she fired up. I played with the idle adjustment screws and it idles ok but not like she used to. She will idle for a while but eventually dies . She used to idle forever.

Took her out to the lake and she ran ok. Still dies after idling for a while. Then after setting for a while, I had to throttle up a little to keep it from dying. Then she idles ok .

Is the intermittent idel just bad adjustment?

Fuel pump is new. I broke the VRO while trying to get a fuel line off so I put on a fuel pump and mix 50:1 .

tloc1000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Fuel pump part # ---how where did you mount it.

Radracing 18-7352 fuel pumps for Johnson Evinrude engines 20-140HP replace 432451,433387.

I mounted on port side of motor in the mounting holes with the supplied gasket. I also plugged the pulse limiter behind the carbs with a brass bolt.

Still. Not sure why it was running like a champ one weekend and then not running the next. Nothing was changed between the shut down/ start up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have to ask.----Did you remove the plug to get a pulse to the new fuel pump.----Have to ask because it was not mentioned !