1993 ( I think ) 200hp Jhonson venom GT. Opinions Welcome

Tnstratofam

Commander
We are going to look at a 1993 Stratos 290SF on Saturday that has I believe the original 200Hp Johnson on it. The seller stated that the engine was rebuilt in 2011 due to the automatic oilier failing. After the rebuild he mixed the oil and gas himself.

I am familiar with Chrysler outboards as well as my friends 89 Johnson 150, but was curious if there are any things to look out for with these motors. We are going to take the boat to the lake for a water run to check her out Saturday if the weather stays nice.

The boat is a 20 foot fish and ski and looks well maintained. We will see if she is in as good a shape as the pictures seem to indicate.

1993 Stratos 290SF-3.jpg

1993 Stratos 290SF-4.jpg

Thanks

Dave

Tnstratofam

Commander
On a side note. Unless the seller is opposed to it I will do a compression test after our lake trial, and check the oil in the lower unit.

I'm sure it will all be good.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't know much about the 200 hp's, so can't really offer anything there..

Being 25yrs old, I'd expect some stringer/transom issues, but you already know all about that right? :D

Whatever happened with the Stratos from back in 2013-2014 anyway?
That's one thread I looked at when I joined back in late 2016...

And yeah... If seller is opposed to a compression test, I might walk away.
If it was really rebuilt (ok, 7 years ago, but...) and is running good, there should be no issue running that test..

Best of luck looking at it though!
From the 2 pics, it's hard to tell, but looks like it could be nice if the price is right!

Will be following along and looking forward to seeing how you make out!

Last edited: