Universal Scan Tools

thatone123

Banned
Wondering if anyone here has had experience with these? They claim to work on a wide variety of outboards and cost from 500.00 on up. There is one for Evinrude E-tec only that goes for 85 bucks. Do they do the job? Is that all you need to diagnose etc.?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I would be surprised. The good ones are.in the thousands...

I think the 85 dollar etac thing is just the boot strap

alldodge

Staff member
Doubt it, but post a link to the tool so we can have a look

daselbee

Commander
The only scanning tool you need for Etec is EvDiags software, a computer, and the cable.
The EvDiags is available at any dealer, OR you can buy off the internet bootleg copies. It works just as well.
The software will come with a cable. You supply the PC.
There are numerous ppl selling bootleg, I have purchased from a guy in Monaco successfully.

Don't kid yourself. Software will not FIX these engines. It may point to the likely issue, but it MAY NOT. I have run into lots of problems that do not show up on the EvDiags diagnostic screens. Bad injectors, bad HP fuel pump, basically anything that does not set a code...and you are on your own.

thatone123

Banned
This place sells one that pops up quite a bit: Michigantoolz.com Or just type : outboard motor scan tools in search

82rude

Rear Admiral
All I'm going to say on this subject is if you frig with an etec on the comp You better KNOW what your doing or else you can screw it up big time.

alldodge

Staff member
Vary wide range in prices usually means some do the job and others don't. Does appear that there are several which should work. I would stick with a know name and not the ebayer

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I have all the rinda stuff. Several thousand. Works as advertised.