76 115 Evinrude opinions

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Look at the size of the lower unit ----Now look at the size of the rear end on your pick-up truck.-----Outboard lower units are hard working items.-----Put in the best / recommended oil !!!

That really becomes apparent with the I/O gearcases, seeing much higher torque loads than the Outboard. My uncles OMC 800 series I/O kept shredding gear cases, upper and lower because his 'expert' friend convinced him the OMC oil was the same stuff as the cheapie 90w for cars/trucks found at K-Mart, just way overpriced. Once he started using the Hi-Vis he never had a failure again. Either the oil was a factor, or the repair shop finally got it right after 4 gear cases. Mind you an OMC 800 series was running on the edge when a 5.7(260hp) was attached to it, so the oil was critical with it.

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
From what I read ,they had the type c in 67-72 which is a electric shift.72-76 were hydro mechanical and 77-present are all mechanical.They changed recommendation on oil due to the viscosity being to light so they went to the hi-vis.,which is straight 90weight.As far as the hpf-pro and hpf pro xr(??) Is they are superior oils.Prettybsure I'm just gonna go with the Hi-Vis from what I read.thanks for all the info.heres a update I found online

Attachments

• photo285291.png
    photo285291.png
    846 KB · Views: 0