1980 Evin 25hp now dies

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
#84 is the stop screw, as jasper indicated. It should be there whether tiller steering or not.

The carb idle mix screw initial setting is 1 to 1 1/2 turns open. If more than that, you probably have not cleaned out the idle passages at the carb top -- requires removal of the domed plug. Soak the top in lacquer thinner or some other solvent, then run small wire through all openings. Finish with carb spray using the plastic wand. For soaking, you want to disassemble everything but the linkages, and soak everything metal. Open the THROTTLE stop to a fast idle, either with the remote lever or by hand. Should start in the fast idle range, with a clean carb and the initial carb idle mix setting (above). Fine tune the carb idle mix with the lower unit in the water, engine warmed up and in gear.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks a bunch for every ones help and advice.I have a gallon can of carb cleaner. I will soak it and spray it and re-assemble as you stated and go from there. They idle screw #84 is missing and I will replace that and give it a whirl.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got it running and when I went to adjust the idle down it died and its really a bear to get started again. Normally boat motors dont kick my butt this one sure is. Im gonna tinker with it tomorrow hopefully better results. I sprayed and cleaned the low idle passage and blew out with compressed air. Reinstalled the needle and 1 and 3/4 turns and it started. the idles was way to high so as I slowly got it down to where it should be it died. Wouldnt fire back up.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
When idling high as you describe, would slow it down by adjusting the throttle control gear, then continue adjusting the carburetor needle. Want to lean out the carb needle (clockwise) until you get the lean sneeze, then back it out 1/4 turn -- should be the close-to-final setting.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well ordered a new carb and got it today. Ordered a new starter waiting on it and will provide feedback. Thanks again everyone.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok heres an update..new fuel pump, starter, head gasket and carb. Fires right up and purrs like a kitty but runs out of fuel. I have an in-line filter between tank and fuel quick connect. I can watch fuel leave the filter but not pulling fuel from tank. Pump the ball and fill the filter and line and fire it up and it runs till its out of gas. Vent is open, clamps are tight. Any ideas?

ob

Admiral
Check fuel pickup tube in tank for above level cracks or leaks. Insure that no debris are getting on the pickup strainer. Also insure that when you pump the fuel bulb that it will get firm and hold.

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
New fuel pump. Fires up and purrs like a kitty but runs out of fuel. Pump the ball and fill the filter and line and fire it up and it runs till its out of gas.?

You have one hellava air leak between the fuel filter and the fuel itself... usually a hole near the top of the fuel supply tube inside the fuel tank.

The fact that the engine's fuel pump empties the fuel filter proves the crankcase pressure is adequate and that the new fuel pump is functioning properly.

The fact that manually pumping the fuel primer bulb, which is many times more powerful in suction than the fuel pump, draws fuel from the tank proves that no blockage exists.

Last edited:

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try changing hose connection at tank, may be sucking air due to bad o ring.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got it fixed. Runs like a brand new motor.Thank you everyone for all the info and help. Greatly appreciated:D