1979 Johnson 9.9 noise

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Post #10 questions your knowledge on this procedure I think !!

Most of my experience with outboards comes from late fifties models and all of it started with taking things apart and putting them back together again. I have rebuilt the block and the carb on this one and I honestly do not believe it to be rocket science. If I do something the wrong way, I'll do it again and again until it is right. I do have the manufacturers manual, but even that has missing parts because the procedure seems so obvious.

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
That is a wet leg design. The leg fills with water after starting. They are quieter than the megaphone design which does not fill with water. Ya have to pull the powerhead to replace. If that gasket leaks it will be louder if the mid does not fill with water.

Much noise does come from the intake.

Thanks for that reminder. I will make sure that all the openings on the lower end are wide open and clean so there will be no unnecessary counter pressure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They must come from a land with fast skaters and orange as a favourite colour !

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Gentlemen, you were right.
Today I ignored the cold and dropped the lower unit and found out that I will have to remove the engine to get to the bottom end of the upper exhaust. I did see that the old seal is mostly burnt off and missing.
Tomorrow is going to be 35 degrees _ a veritable heatwave_ so I will take the little outboard off the boat ,get it into the garage and continue the noisy engine project.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No surprize on my part !----I have about 20 or more of these motors for rebuild / parts.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Och ja, might as well replace the water tube grommet up there while you are at it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
That's how it always happens. I start with a little project to improve something, and then it develops into a major project. For now it is replacement of an exhaust seal and engine bottom gasket, the water tube grommet because it is now within reach and for sure there will be other things to do that will soon have this little engine in bits and pieces on my work bench. It 's a good thing that I really enjoy this just as much as boating . The only thing that I really hate in this game is breaking bolts and having to drill them out.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
It was in the sixties today, just one day and then back into the freezer, but it gave me the chance to take the power head off the cowling and inspect the exhaust. It's in pretty good shape except for the grommet which will be replaced. While at it, I also took off the outer and inner exhaust covers and it was a pleasant surprise to see that it is all in fine shape. The next step will be gluing some insulation on the inside of the cowling.After that is finished I will give it try.

Last edited: