Fuel pump re-do

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,

Looking for an answer to what I hope is a simple question. I have a 6 H.P Evinrude motor, 1991 model year, and the model number is: E6REIA. I need to rebuild the carb in the spring time here in Michigan, and I thought while I was at it, I would also rebuild the fuel pump since the rebuild kit was less than $20.

I ordered and received the fuel pump rebuild kit and the instructions on how to do it with a good picture of all parts that are in the kit. The part labelled as "PUMP DIAPHRAGM" is a flat rubber gasket looking piece Has four holes in it, one for each of the screws, one in each corner. The center of this diaphragm is flat. The pictures in the instructions that were sent with the kit shows a rubber gasket looking piece that is a little "domed" in the center of it. My service manual does not cover the fuel pump other than cleaning the filter and changing the gasket.

My Question: Should this diaphragm be flat or domed? The seller does not know. My original fuel pump is on the motor in winter storage which I cannot get to just yet here in Mich. I would like to know that I have all of the correct parts for the carb (which all look fine according to my service manual) and for the fuel filter as well, but that rubber diaphragm is waving a red flag to me.
Thanks for any input! IGGY

iggyw1

Thanks to both of you!. I will try my kit first with the flat diaphragm (wondering now why they sent pictures in the instructions that came with the kit that showed a slightly domed diaphragm). If the pump is screwed up when I go to start my motor, (after I rebuild it) I will order the cheap one from Amazon. Had I seen that one first,, I would have went with it instead of the kit which costed me about $17.00. The pump should be easy to rebuild if I have it in my hands, and lay things out on my bench as they come off of the pump.
I am all set now..... Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have a few new diaphragm on hand.--- About $4.00 each they are and they are flat.---Pumps always work fine after a FLAT diaphragm is installed !

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
easy...? yes and no after a few rebuilds... yes the first one ...no

read the sheets a few times and understand what it says

I dab the base nipples and small mushroom bottoms on the springs with a touch of crazy glue to hold the springs in place

work in a well lit and CLEAN workspace ... these parts can fly fat fingers beware

take pictures BEFORE and along the way as you proceed

when done blow air in the fuel inlet it should pass the check valves outward to the fuel OUT nipple

blow air in the FUEL OUT nipple and no air should flow backwards

orient air/fuel nipples like they came on the pump before you split it open make a vertical scratch mark on the outer perimeter for alignment on reassembly

p.s. no reason for the pump to be screwed up.... just not assembled properly... start over if you have to

try this one I think the other one is not correct

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I bought one of the cheap square pumps about a year ago, and it worked fine out of the box. I haven't used the motor much since then, though, so can't vouch for longevity. When pressure tank conversions are discussed here, Mikuni and Briggs & Stratton pumps usually are mentioned. Those could be another inexpensive alternative -- likely require additional plumbing for a pulse line (easy fix).

The link Crosbyman supplied probably provides more rebuild instructions than anywhere else, and would be good to follow if doing the rebuild (It's winter and you already have the kit). The diaphragm shown in a couple of places appears to be a used one that has taken on a set. The flat flexible one you have is the right one, as was mentioned above. (They can feel like cardboard and sort of pop back and forth when due for replacement -- can still work like that for a while, although probably less efficiently.)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You are a glutton for punishment if you take that pump apart "just because" and for no good reason. There is a reason that most original Evinrude literature do not cover rebuilding that pump. They are a PITA and would cost more to pay a pro tech to rebuild it than a new pump would cost.

You might get the impression that I don't like those square pumps. You would be right.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pretty ladies in Mexico put those together.---Can not be that hard to do.

iggyw1

LOL Well guys, I ordered a new pump for $26.00 with free delivery. I also already have a repair kit on hand for the fuel pump that is in it now. I will soon go to the garage where I have my boat stored for the winter and get my 6 H.P motor off the boat and bring it home and work on it in my garage at home. Suppose to go up to 42-43 in the next few days here in Mi.

When I get the old pump off, and the new pump in place, I will try to rebuild it. I watched several videos now on how to do it, and with the size of my hands (way bigger than President Trumps) in will be a PITA to set the springs back into it just right. Will take several attempts I can see that. If I fail at rebuilding the pump, at least I gained some experience and a bit of knowledge for the cost of the repair kit. Education is not free (for most of us), so at least I will learn something for a low cost. LOL I have the carb rebuild kit too. That's what needs the rebuild. I was just going to do the pump just to do it. Did not check out prices for a new one before I ordered the repair kit. That was a big mistake!!!

The motor is 1991. I bought it three years ago with 15 hours on it. The motor has not been used for about 15 years before I bought it. Sat there with the old gas in it for that long. I used it a few times for trolling the last 3 years and it was fine one day when I shut it off last fall, and the next day, getting no gas thru the carb. Time for a rebuild!

Thanks for all of your input. Please consider this case closed. If I have a problem after I get the new pump in and get the carb rebuilt, I will start a new thread.
IGGY