Tagged’s 140 Johnson Resurrection

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was a great weekend, guys. Not everything went exactly to plan, but it all worked out in the end.

At first it it wouldn’t idle, except on the warm up lever. So I fiddled with the cable adjustment until it would run. That was the wrong solution, of course.

Once I got out on the water, I discovered that the top carb wasn’t flowing on the high speed jets. Pulled the carb and it’s bowl was completely dry. I think the float pin had gotten stuck. So that was also why it wouldn’t idle.

Is there an improved carb kit that captures the pin onto the float lever so that the weight of the float helps pull it open? I’ve seen that in other engines, I was surprised that this pin is completely free. If anyone knows an improved kit, I’ll order one.

Reassemble, readjust, and it ran like a champ. Got better as the weekend went on, too. At first it would max at 5000 rpm. By the end, it was touching right at 5500 and 45mph.

Thank you all for your help and support. One more picture, to say thanks!

Attachments

• photo284557.jpg
    photo284557.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Good to see it running. Have you double checked the carb kit for a very small r pin type clip the holds the needle on to the float ?
Im pretty sure if you get the needle in the kit you should also have the clip ?

Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
My carb also originally had no clip and the pin had no groove to attach one. The Sierra rebuild kit I'm using has it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I'm jealous you can boat this time of year. Over the past 2 days we've had over a foot and a half of the White Stuff. Only 2 1/2 more months of winter
I thought all the kits used the clipped/hooked float needle assembly.
Glad you got it running, but I'm still jealous

interalian

Commander
Congrats on your build, the motor sounds great. I just got back from a very warm place (Hawaii) and missed most of your build thread.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ran it again today, and it started acting its age. Started fine, but gradually got worse.

It started with a misfire on the way home from fishing. The next trip out, though, it was running rough and had no power. Feels like it’s running on fewer cylinders.

I did a quickie field carb clean, and made no difference. I didn’t have my spark tester or multimeter with me, or even a good can of carb cleaner, so I put it back in the garage for the weekend.

Next trip out, I’ll bring the rest of the tools.

interalian

Commander
Same thing happened to me after my rebuild. First it started puking fuel out of the top carb due to a jammed needle valve (machining chaff inside the new OE needle seat), then one coil failed a day or so later. I was carrying a full tool kit and a timing light so was able to diagnose quickly. Because I had a spare motor to start with, I had a second set of parts at hand so it was a quick swap and I was underway again. Hope yours is an easy fix.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. Me too. But I’m prepared for a few rounds of fixing it and having something else break. Gotta work out the kinks.

As as long as it’s coils, power packs,and dirty carbs, I’m fine. Rings, bearings, and gearboxes? Not so much.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Teething problems Tag that's all. My thread will be starting soon then you can follow my rebuild. Then you will see there aint much too these motors.

Admiral Realgun

Recruit
Tagged I just bought an 83 johnson 140 will be doing a restore like you. Finally replacing that 85 hp force.
I am realgun but cant seem to get the account back. Look up project Long Haul. Yup Long Haul! I'm BACK!~

Last edited:

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First thing I can do to work through these teething problems is to finish the fuel system. I’ll order a couple of carb kits, and get new fuel lines. From another thread, I’ve learned some of the hose sizes. Can anyone help with the rest?

5/16 from coupler to fuel pump,
5/32 from fuel pump to carb.

Fuel pump to primer?
primer to carb?
puddle drain to bypass cover?

while I’m asking, what about the pisser hose?

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I will; get these sizes for you today. I take it you you need I.D and O.D ?
You should have an idea on the lengths
Cheers Andy

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
On my motor
Pump to primer 8mm O.D 3mm I.D
All primer-puddle drain hoses 6mm O.D 2mm I.D
This is all the sizes you will need.
The primer hoses are the main one to get as it goes to the carbs and by pass covers as well as the inlet manifold.
I would say that altogether there is about 2 meter of primer hose.
If any of your one way valves are not working i would just block the pipe.
If you don't block it the motor will be drawing air in to the inlet manifold which will knock out the ratio of air to fuel mix.
This may cause rough running but i am not 100% on this.
Hopefully some one with a lot more knowledge than i have will put you (me) straight on the matter of the pipe drawing air.
Cheers Andy

Last edited:

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Converting from Scottish to imperial, because we prefer good old-fashioned queen’s measurements here in ‘murica.

8mm OD is 5/16”, got it.
3mm ID is 1/8”. This is easy.

6mm OD is 15/64”, ummmm.....
2mm ID is 5/64” ????

Those can’t be standard sizes, can they? I don’t doubt your measurements, but can someone confirm that?

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Admiral, I looked back at your long haul project. Welcome back! Looking forward to your rebuild.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Converting from Scottish to imperial, because we prefer good old-fashioned queen’s measurements here in ‘murica.

8mm OD is 5/16”, got it.
3mm ID is 1/8”. This is easy.

6mm OD is 15/64”, ummmm.....
2mm ID is 5/64” ????

Those can’t be standard sizes, can they? I don’t doubt your measurements, but can someone confirm that?

The Queen uses metric lol even when i fix her boat its all metric :)
Shouldn't that be mer-i-cu as we say over here in our little land of 5,400,000
More folk stay in NYC than in the whole of Scotland

Last edited:

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
6mm O.D. = 1/4" or to the nearest 32nd 8/32"
2mm I.D = 1/16" 3/32"

If you need more help on the conversion of metric you should have just asked for it all in imperial.
Its no trouble to convert it for you buddy. We had to learn both but metric is by far the easiest to work with.
Cheers Andy

Last edited:

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Andy, what about the pisser hose? Excuse me, the overboard water indicator hose.

interalian

Commander
I used windshield washer hose for plumbing my dual pissers. Got it 'by the foot' at the local car parts shop.

For fuel line, make sure you get Ethanol rated line. SAE J30 R9. Other line craps out and can plug your jets if you have alcohol in your gas. Some has an inner liner, some doesn't.