in-line fuel filter for 70hp evinrude

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I went to replace a fuel filter on I evinrude 70 I bought, one line going into the filter is 3/8, the line that would come out is a 3/16 that goes to the motor. My problem is I cannot find a filter or a barb mender that is 3/8 one end and 3/16 the other end. can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? I do know the 3/16 line on the motor looks to be original and not sure on the 3/8 running from the tank. I need help please!!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
maybe a brain fart here, but wouldn't you splice an inline filter in either of the lines (either before or after the pump) -- either a 3/8 line or a 3/16?

Did your motor have a filter originally? Might want to check a parts diagram, based on model number. A filter places a restriction, which could have an adverse affect on operation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
seriously doubt you had 3/16 line anywhere on a 70hp. most likely it is the original 3/8 line that has swollen closed from ethanol

even a 9.8 uses 5/16 line to the carb

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Spice the filter into the hose from the tank. I put one between the tank and bulb so the bulb doesn't get trash in it. And I can see the filter condition when I squeeze the bulb without popping the motor cover.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What year is your motor? Does it have VRO or a regular pump?

I believe its a 1989 and it is a 70 VRO, don't know much about it but trying to learn to repair myself, I do know I have to pre- mix my fuel, maybe that is the reason of having 2 sizes of fuel lines coming from a inline filter. I was wrong on the size, one is a 5/16 coming from the tank and then its a 3/16 from the motor to the filter that was put in. thanks for any help.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----The only place for 3/16" fuel lines is from the manifold to the individual carburetors.----You need to post pictures so we can see what you have !----What is the issue with the motor that leads you to the ---" i need a filter to fix this " -----You may need to look at putting this all back to the way it left the factory.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

???----The only place for 3/16" fuel lines is from the manifold to the individual carburetors.----You need to post pictures so we can see what you have !----What is the issue with the motor that leads you to the ---" i need a filter to fix this " -----You may need to look at putting this all back to the way it left the factory.

line on right with clamp is 5/16 line on left with clamp is 3/16. they had an inline filter here and I want to replace it but not possible with a filter, also found a inline filter right after the line comes from the tank that has been on there for who knows how long. Started the engine first time and fired right up. Took it to the boat ramp fired right up, drove a few minutes around the lake and docked it. Came back about 1 week later and will only run for a minute or so then dies, have to crank it a bunch, fires up runs a minute or so and die. This is why I want to change the filter, I guess its the first place to start??

Attachments

• photo280697.jpg
    photo280697.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 7