1978 V-4 Control Query

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 78 V-4 120HP, can I fit a twin lever to this, not the original 2 lever OMC , pic included of the one I have.

Attachments

• photo280133.jpg
    photo280133.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 0

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cant find an original command centre box where I dont have to drop my strides and givem the nod for the price some want for them, I have this lying about

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last query I had a bitsa V-4 Johnno on my boat years ago I think it was a 69 leg with a 77 powerhead it had the seperate plates that secured the outboard to the transom these holes are still in my transom but are blocked, would this be same bolt pattern as the later V-4 which has the integrated transom mounts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Easy question first: The transom drillings should be the same. I'm totally unfamiliar with the control pictured, but from what I can see, it appears to be rather universal, so probably is OK.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 1978 model 120 ??-----Controls are easy to find in some areas.---Your location ?------Myself I would not install that control on a V-4 engine.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Me too. As there was no 120 hp in '78.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
If it were me I'd use a stock control. Not like they're hard to find?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks like OP is in New South Wales (south coast) in Australia..
​Maybe harder to find control boxes there? :noidea:

​That company in the picture posted shows on their website that they have another 2 lever control box as well. That one looks closer to the older J/E remotes, but it states it'll fit Mercury without special adapters.. Not sure if it'd work for the J/E..

The site looks like all the control boxes they have are universal (ish) and they have several control boxes, and several cable choices, and some cable adapters, so I'd think an appropriate combination could be had if that's what's available in OP's area..

​Maybe ebay or similar for the correct controls if they are that hard to find over there??
(​EDIT: Once actual year of the engine is determined....)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The picture as shown in post #1 is not complete.. It needs some kind of a bracket to hold the outer cable housings.

interalian

Commander
Looks like OP is in New South Wales (south coast) in Australia..
​Maybe harder to find control boxes there? :noidea:

​That company in the picture posted shows on their website that they have another 2 lever control box as well. That one looks closer to the older J/E remotes, but it states it'll fit Mercury without special adapters.. Not sure if it'd work for the J/E..

The site looks like all the control boxes they have are universal (ish) and they have several control boxes, and several cable choices, and some cable adapters, so I'd think an appropriate combination could be had if that's what's available in OP's area..

​Maybe ebay or similar for the correct controls if they are that hard to find over there??
(​EDIT: Once actual year of the engine is determined....)

Wales UK rather.

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A 1978 model 120 ??-----Controls are easy to find in some areas.---Your location ?------Myself I would not install that control on a V4
Im in Canberra Australia, controls are about but at average price of 250 to 300 bux i personally think thats madness

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Only number on plate on clamp i could find is 613 952
Top line all i can make out is the letter S on the end, the numbers are worn away in front but looks like a 35 at start

Last edited:

dropbear68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i think its a 1980 model cant determine HP , it has the external tilt trim motor the tall one, i know bugger all else about it was told its a 120 but clearly he was playing with heself, the bottom number tell us anything?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Identification may be easy with some pictures.----Some with cowling on and some with cover off.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
There was no 120 until 1985
Correct. And it was a loopner motor. The crank rated 140 crossflow was detuned a lil to become the prop rated 115 in '85. Last Xflow 140 was '84.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
i think its a 1980 model cant determine HP , it has the external tilt trim motor the tall one, i know bugger all else about it was told its a 120 but clearly he was playing with heself, the bottom number tell us anything?

77 was the last year for the External Trim system. In 77 the 140 came with the new integral system and in 78 the rest of the V4s got it. Your engine is between 1973 - 1977.

We need pictures, clear and in focus, and lots of them, to ball park the year and HP