69 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp stalling, knocking

ox bones

Recruit
Boat newbie here: I bought an old Evinrude last spring and it was working well enough. The ignition system was removed, so you always had to crank it a number of times. I adjusted the mixture knob and cleaned the carb, and ran it a few times with no problem. Then it sat for maybe 3 months this summer.

Two weeks ago I got fresh gas and cut a barrel to test it in the yard. It ran for a few minutes, and sputtered out. I bought a compression tester and removed the spark plugs, but the cord had locked up. I could only pull it a few inches and it wouldn't budge.

Today, I tried to crank it, and it was no longer locked up. It started after a few cranks in neutral, throttle high (I've never been able to start it in "start" or low throttle). It ran for a bout a minute, started knocking and having power surges, like it was running too lean. Since then, I can get it to turn over a few times, but not start. I've played with the choke and mixture knob, but don't know what else to do. I'm using the gas/oil from two weeks ago. Is it too old? I added an extender to the fuel mix.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Pretty sure you have an ignition system if it runs. Was it pumping water? Sounds like the motor overheated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
He meant to say---" electric start was removed " I believe.----Fuel was mixed at 50:1 was it ?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would check the flywheel key to make sure it isn't sheared.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
My bet is that you cooked it. Initally overheated and locked up, then when cooled you were able to start it again. Possible your water level wasn't high enough in the barrel. You also don't mention whether you replaced the impeller initially.