2000 Ocean Pro 250 flywheel magnets spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellow10

Recruit
I have a 2000 Ocean Pro 250, the motor has only 290 hrs but has been stopped for a long time, I made several works on it, to re-establish a good fuel flow, restoring either the VRO and the 6 carburetors using original OMC kits, all spark plugs, coils, wires etc are in good shape, the spark looks identical on all 6 plugs and there are no grounding sparks on any of the harnesses of the 6 coils. I went to sea trial this boat a couple of times but this outboard was behaving very rough specially at 1400/1600 RPM's overall it was very irregular like working with 3/4 cylinders instead of 6, top RMS were 4500 with one person onboard, 1/4 of fuel in the tank and flat water conditions. The top RPM's were recorded at trimmed position. During the first sea trial I noticed a slight difference between the two cylinder heads so I replaced both thermostats, reaching even temperatures on both. However during the 2nd sea trial the engine behaved the same way like before.
Initially I thought about a timing issue, but I was very skeptical regarding this last. Then talking with a friend who is and has been a longtime OMC mechanic regarding a a possible solution, I noticed some magnets de-bonded inside the flywheel. After removed the flywheel I noticed that 2 of the 6 magnets were still safe in place at opposite position (one at 12 hrs the other at 6 hrs). AS main step I cleaned the surfaces and preparing to re-glue them back in ?even? position and equal distance all 6 of them, but in my case equal distances between the 2 left in their original position.
Unfortunately before preparing the epoxy I noticed that 2 of them are going back keeping equal spaces between themselves and the 2 at their ends still glued there, instead on the opposite side, the other 2 are far away between them comparing to the same spacers used for the others.
As a spacers initially I used used some 7/16" bolts, but they were working fine on one side but loose on the other, then i preferred to use some old 3/8 fuel hose which is adapting better between the magnets. At first I thought that the magnets could have been different lengthwise for some reasons, then I checked them and they are pretty equal, there is only a very slight difference between them really insignificant.
They don't show any sign of works done previously or that someone have could have been re-glued them, specially considering that this motor has 290 hours and it?s really well preserved. It doesn't shows any heavy oxidation anywhere inside and outside, rather than few spots around the gear ring on the flywheel, anyway I don't think that there were previous works made on this flywheel.
At this point the 2 magnets still glued in place could have been in uneven position during a building process (very hard to believe) or, more intuitive they are not even because of timing reasons, however I couldn?t find any mention regarding this nowhere on the web or on the shop manuals about this topic.
Here below are 2 pictures, the first one shows the above flywheel upside down, the second is viewed from the top. The flywheel OMC part # 0583968 as shown from the casting numbers inside on a spoke, outside it has different number: 583970 since this is an obsolete pretty hard to find, I'm forced to refurbish the original flywheel.

I will really appreciate any suggestions on this topic, on how to figure out the original position of the 4 magnets, since at this point I'm pretty confused about this.

Thanks

Couldn't upload any pics since a window show up saying: You are not authorized to create or remove attachments

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
When replacing those type magnets.... use appropriate length 3/8" OD fuel line inserted between the magnets. That spaces them perfectly even.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I always used 7/16 " bolts and had no problems.JMO

Last edited:

yellow10

Recruit
Thanks for your reply.
I tried to explain that my problem, I will try again, please accept my excuses since english is not my mother language.
On this flywheel 4 magnets came off, but other two are still well glued to the surface. These 2 still in place are opposite one each other at 180?, so I have 2 sectors available to fill, one west of them, the other obvious is the east side.

When I try to position 2 magnets on the west side of them the 3 gaps between those is even and is matching the 7/16? bolts, however when I try to position the other 2 on the east side, the 3 gaps between them is larger than the 7/16? bolts. At this point I don?t know how I can place all of them in an even position. For what I know they should have an equal space between all six of them.

Unfortunately I?m unable to load the pics which will clarify better this problem since yesterday iboat server opened a message window : You are not authorized to create or remove attachments. Instead today says: Error uploading image This is really frustrating

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Uploading picture errors are usually caused by the graphic being too large. Downsize it a little.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for your reply.
I tried to explain that my problem, I will try again, please accept my excuses since english is not my mother language.
On this flywheel 4 magnets came off, but other two are still well glued to the surface. These 2 still in place are opposite one each other at 180?, so I have 2 sectors available to fill, one west of them, the other obvious is the east side.

When I try to position 2 magnets on the west side of them the 3 gaps between those is even and is matching the 7/16? bolts, however when I try to position the other 2 on the east side, the 3 gaps between them is larger than the 7/16? bolts. At this point I don?t know how I can place all of them in an even position. For what I know they should have an equal space between all six of them.

Unfortunately I?m unable to load the pics which will clarify better this problem since yesterday iboat server opened a message window : You are not authorized to create or remove attachments. Instead today says: Error uploading image This is really frustrating

Sounds like you might have to knock one of the two off and start over...I don't believe the gaps have to be super precisely even, but best that they are pretty close to even. What do you think Joe and Boobie, a 1/8" inch difference would be ok?

FYI Be sure the magnets are ALL pointing in the same direction...there is a divot on each to help point them in the same direction.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Those are charging magnets and has nothing to do with timing.....

ChuckandLaurie

Recruit
200 Ocean pro, #1 at TDC flywheel does not line up on TDC, heard the hub can spin, how can I check this?

Status
Not open for further replies.