FD-11 power loss when adding throttle

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
My research led me to believe the prop had thrown the hub. I've replaced it with a known good prop from my spair FD-11. I idle fine and can even give a slight bit of throttle. But once I give any more than 1/4 throttle the power is lost and I feel what I think can be described as cavitation. I feel the heavy vibrations under my feet. Once I slow back down I can begin my ascent to 1/4 throttle again. My highest throttle achieved would still be good in a no wake zone. The play in the prop is 1/8 - 3/16 of inch. I have a manual just not so good at diagnosing yet. Thanks in advance.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are the RPM's definitely increasing? Might be time to pull the gearcase apart and look at the clutch dog/forward gear mating.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
might be transom condition (flexing), or position of the motor. The anti ventilation plate should be about even with the bottom of the boat for starters.

There should be no play in prop, drive pin intact and in place behind the hub. Stock prop is a three-blade 9x10.

With the boat on the trailer, and the motor in the locked position, pull the leg away from the transom -- should be no play.

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
It did run pretty well. I had an overnight catfish tournament that I had the boat pretty heavily loaded. Everything was fine but there was definitely no getting up on plane with all that weight. This problem started two fishing trips later. Neither of those two trips was I carrying a lot of weight. That's why I'm looking for what other than the prop might be slipping?

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
Forgive my ignorance but what does the anti ventilation plate? Is that the plate directly above the prop?

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
It appears I have two spun props. I put the motor into gear and was still able to spin the prop. Considerable force was used. It wasn't turning the motor over but instead I could hear squeaky rubber. I have a third prop that says it's a 9x10 but the guy I got it from said it was supposedly a seedless prop. I'm gonna guess by the differences with the other two I need to be careful not to over rev the motor. The actual blades are much smaller and have a greater pitch to them. I'll report once I test it on the water. Which will propbably be next weekend.

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
Just went to another post asking about rehubbing an old rude for the link. Doesn't look like they carry parts for my motor due to its age. Where can I find the hub assembly to have a new one pressed in. I just want to make sure the prop shop isn't going to take me for a ride. New props are about 129 so I thought it might be worth a shot to see about pressing a new hub.

edit-Insert

Seaman Apprentice
Baaaaaah! Two bad props and 1 good one. So 100 to get two props fixed would be awesome! Did I remember reading that once rehubbed they need to be broken in?

lindy46

Captain
Baaaaaah! Two bad props and 1 good one. So 100 to get two props fixed would be awesome! Did I remember reading that once rehubbed they need to be broken in?

Never heard of breaking in a re-hubbed prop.