Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Honda BF5A running rough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda BF5A running rough

I have a honda 5 hp 1997 that's running rough at idle and mid range.

I changed the oil in the engine, lower unit, put in a new spark plug and fresh gas. I also checked the compression at wot (throttle rod disconnected and pulled) I raised quickly in a couple of pulls to 150 psi.

After running it in the tank for 10 min at low speed the engine still ran rough missing at idle and mid range. I checked the spark plug and it was very dark so it seems to run too rich. I pulled the carb apart it looked clean but I noticed the idle screw was a 3 3/4 turn from bottom. What is the base setting for this screw? 1 1/2 turn?

Is there risk of dommage to the plastic parts of the carb (choke mechanism) if I let it soak in solvent? which solvent do you recommend?

Should I check the valve lash ? what is the spec and how I sould adjust it ?

thanks
    Michel

Re: Honda BF5A running rough

for the general knowledge, I bought a shop manual on e-bay and it contained all the info I needed

idle screw base adjustement 2 3/8 turn
    valve lash
    intake between .002 and .006
    exhaust between .004 and .007
    adjustement is made on a cold engine with piston at tdc on the compression stroke (aling the tdc mark on the flywheel with the mark printed on the ignition coil)

I cleaned the carb and adjusted it near base adjustement and now it's running smooth, like it sould

michel

Comment

Working...
    X