Honda BF225 High-pressure Fuel Filter Problems (Ethanol? Aluminum?)

msch382

Cadet
I have a 2002 Honda BF225 outboard engine. The high-pressure fuel filter keeps getting clogged with white stuff.

I'm already running both a Racor 10-micron and 2-micron fuel filter (new), but it appears the 10% ethanol gasonline is dissolving aluminum oxidation/corrosion from our aluminum fuel tank (or something bad) through both filters and into the engine where it clogs the high-pressure fuel filter (which must be 1-micron or less).

Research is pointing to a few solutions: (1) pay about $675 to have our aluminum tank and the fuel polished (call Roy @ Fuel Oil & Polishing, San Diego, CA); (2) replace the high-pressure fuel filter; (3) rebuild/clean the vapor separator; and, MAYBE, (4) install an easily replacable 1-micron (or smaller) in-line fuel filter before the engine to save the labor of changing the HP fuel filter.

1. Is anyone else having problems with their high-pressure fuel filter clogging?
2. Has anyone seen this type of white stuff in their HP fuel filter?
3. Is anyone else having problems with ethanol fuel dissolving contaminants?

HP Fuel Filter Honda BF225 0.jpg

HP Fuel Filter Honda BF225 2.jpg

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Honda BF225 High-pressure Fuel Filter Problems (Ethanol? Aluminum?)

r u running any additives?
i would run a 2 micron after the 0 micron

Everglades

Recruit

My Honda is in the shop right now with fuel (E-10) related problems. I changed the first two filters but not the high pressure filter. I'm getting a fuel alarm alert when I idle and burning alot more fuel per the GPH gauge. I bet I have the same problem you have.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Contatminated .or substandard fuel is an issue now with all manufactures accross the board and I have service bulletins from Honda,Volvo,Merc,and Mercruiser,Suzuki ,and Yamaha.The fact of the matter is what they are shoving down our throats is not condusive to a marine environment.Simple fuel test invlovle a syringe,water ,and a fuel sample.Fill the syringe with water as far as you like then holding it upright squeeze out all but 3 cc of water.Next suck up that fuel sample to 12 cc.Put your finger on the end of that syringe and give it a hardy shake then set it on the bench for afew and you will now see a line of separation.Gasoline will be at the top .8cc of gas or better is what you hope to see.

msch382

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. Just an update. I showed the pictures to a few mechanics as well as fuel polisher. All of them believe the white stuff clogging my Honda BF225 high-pressure (HP) fuel filter is indeed aluminum corrosion (my boat is 13 years old, and stored 100 yards from ocean) that was dissolved by the E10 fuel.

It makes through both of my Racor filters/water separators: a 10-mircon and 2-micron in series. Apparently the aluminum corrosion is less than 2-micron, but does get caught in the HP filter.

SOOOO, here's what I'm doing:

1. I'm having our aluminum tank polished

2. Changed the HP filter with new one

3. Drained the old gas from vapor separator

4. Installed all new gas lines that are alcohol resistant

5. Installed 2-micron Racor fuel/water separator (after/downstream from the
10-mircon)

I'll take pictures and post results.

msch382

Cadet

Oh, also, for folks looking for more info, I posted this on www.hondapartsus.com as well and got some interesting replies.

NOTE: Roy, the fuel polisher from San Diego, also cautioned me that certain fuel stabilizer addidtives actually cause problems when mixed in with E10 fuel... And, in fact, he recommended not using any fuel stabilizer unless absolutely necessary (i.e., multi-month storage). Otherwise, only use as much gas as you need, and/or cover your tank vent with a sponge/rag so that it can breath but not absorb moisture/condensation.

msch382

Cadet

Update: We also had to rebuild our fuel vapor separator... Eric at Specialty Marine in Ventura, CA did the job. Nice! There was white powdery stuff (oxidized aluminum that had been dissolved by the ethanol) in our high-pressure fuel pump assembly and in our float bowl valve.

Our boat runs great now. Problem fixed.

Here is a picture of the white stuff we found inside the HP pump assembly.
HP Pump Housing.JPG

For those do it yourselfers, here's an exploded view of the vapor separator parts that you need to clean:

HP Pump.JPG

HP Float Bowl.JPG

j_martin

Admiral

This much I know. When I ran gasohol in my small engines, I always had problems. Now, with "non-oxygenated" fuel my chain saws run till the crankcase gaskets fail at 10 years from vibration.

I got an old Tracker bass bote with a 1988 XR4 engine on it. It was giving the previous owner fits. After I replaced all the hardened and plugged parts, cleaned out the gas tank, put in a water seperator (which never has any water in it) and banned the introduction of anything but 92 gas, I have enjoyed an engine that runs smooth, and will reliably scream if asked to.

So for my 02, the purported usefullness of gasahol in an outboard is B as in B and S as in S.

John

whitewater90

Cadet

gasahol or E 10 is bad news all around as far as I can tell, can cause vapor lock in aircraft, absorbes moisture wen used in a marine application, eats aluminum and is hard on sled engines because it eats rubber lines and can attract so much water it will make ice and plug carb jets.

your idea with the 1M filter that is easy to change is a good plan even if you think you have the problem under control, there is alote of other aluminum parts in the system that can give off dust from ethonal.