What's my pitch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's my pitch?

I have a 1991 70 H.P. Nissan motor. I removed my prop in hopes of getting it repaired during the winter months, it has some slight damage to the blades. The only markings at all that I see on my prop is the number 12 that is embedded right into the side of the prop. Would this be the pitch of the prop or the diameter of it? There are no other numbers or letters anywhere on the prop, inside or outside. If this 12 indicates the diameter, how can I figure out the pitch? I assume a prop shop can figure that out when I take it in for repairs,, correct? I am thinking they can tell me both, the diameter & pitch of the prop that I have, but I am not sure, Thanks!

So you have either an NS70A2 or an NS70B. Year is irrelevant on these.
    Yes, the 12 is the pitch.
    Paul
    Certified Tohatsu TLDI Technician
    Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Originally posted by pvanv View Post
      So you have either an NS70A2 or an NS70B. Year is irrelevant on these.
      Yes, the 12 is the pitch.
      Yes, I have an NS70A2. I meant to include this in my post but I failed to. Can the repair shop figure out my pitch from my prop I am taking in for repair? How much bigger on the diameter can I go? We have no Nissan dealers around me anywhere, but I tink any place else (Evinrude/Johnson prop shop) should be able to repair my prop, correct or do they just stick to their own brand usually?

Comment

Changing diameter on an OB prop has minimal effect. You have a nominal 12 pitch now.
        You can see the OEM props available at https://tohatsu.com/accessories/prop.html
        Typically any prop shop can repair damaged blades. If you need a re-hub, consider a new prop, and keep the old one as a spare.
        Paul
        Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. Fortunately, the hub looks great. The blades are not really too bad at all, but they can use a repair to make them like new. I will also get a new one if I can find out the pitch that I have. I do not want to change the pitch as I am very happy with the performance of the prop that I have.

Comment

Diameter is all about what the prop manufacturer wants to play width, pitch is all. If that's the original prop the motor came with, how do you know that performs top. You should change the factory delivered prop which is usually a medium pitch to at least one lower one to increase a bit the wot rpm range towards middle to max of its wot rpm range which is 5500 to 5800 rpm. For that will need a tach, does the motor has one ? Running any motor with an optimized prop as usually loaded it's a day/night boating difference..

In reality the motor needs to work inside it's factory wot rpm range, running happy is no indication whatsoever at which wot rpm the motor is working as usually loaded.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

I am running at 5600 RPMs at WOT, and I am doing 34 MPH with me & my cousin in the boat (we both weigh 380 pounds each), so I am happy. I have a 16' 7" alluminum Smoker Craft. I do not know if the prop I have is original or not, but I do not want to go over 5600 RPMs so that's why I am happy with my prop. The book that I have states the RPMs should be 5500 to 5600. IEven if I can go to 5800 RPMs and I only gain (1) MPH, is it worth running the motor at 5800, the very max.? Isn't that pretty hard on the motor for one MPH, or am I thinking wrong on this point? Thanks.

Comment

Your WOT is OK. anything around 5500 is the sweet spot.
                Paul
                Buffalo NY USA

Comment

Originally posted by pvanv View Post
                  Your WOT is OK. anything around 5500 is the sweet spot.
                  Thanks Paul. I still have to get my prop into a shop. No hurry here in Michigan until sometime in mid to late February actually. Cannot get on the Detroit River until the end of March to early April for the walleyes. Late April on Lake St. Clair.

Comment

Right on, 5600 wot revs corresponds to the older models, 5800 wot revs corresponds to the newer 70 D model. You're there nothing to improve already running at max wot as loaded which is excellent at whicherver throttle setting you like. If plan going for a new prop install same as previous..just check diam and pitch.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Working...
                    X