Honda bf75 overheat

Covalbro

Recruit
I have a 1999 Honda 75 four stroke that I have been having overheating alarm issues with. A couple months ago the alarm went off after an hour or so at 4000 rpms, the boat was new to me so I shut it down and took it into a mechanic. He said he couldn’t get the alarm to go off again in the tank but replaced the thermostat and temp sensor just to be prudent. Now, after a few shorter trips with now issues, the alarm went off again yesterday after about 6 hours of cruising at 4000 rpms again. The indicator is showing plenty of water, and I’ve flushed all hoses I can access with fresh water as well as soaked the thermostat to make sure it’s moving freely. The intake screens are free and clear from what I can tell. No luck. I’ve disconnected and reconnected the temp sensor alarm wires and tried again but the light comes back on immediately regardless of the engines actual temp (I’ve let it cool completely several times and tried again). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I’m now stuck at a remote marina with a very expensive cab ride to the nearest parts store! Thanks!!

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Check the temp sensor wiring for a possible short to ground.

Is the motor actually overheating?

Place your hand on the heads near the spark plugs or by the thermostat housing...you should be able to hold it there for at least a three-count.

If you can = not overheating
If you can"t (ouch) = overheating

Your hand is a better temp sensor.

ahicks

Captain
I use the hand test frequently as well. Especially easy to check the temp of the "indicator" water, though it doesn't tell the whole story for sure.
How old is the water pump?