9.8 Tohatsu Won't Idle/Stalls at low speed -- Solution

gatmandu

Recruit
Rough Idle or Stall at low speeds

- The problem is in the carb. On the top of the carb there are 4 pin size holes under the silver plate (at the manifold end of the card). These appear to get clogged easily --- but the main problem is with the low speed injector nozzle.

To get to that part you have to take the carb off the motor and then remove the fuel pan and float. There is a solid brass screw -- remove it which gives you access to the low speed nozzle. With a small screwdriver you can remove the nozzle. I used carb cleaner (aerosol can) and a fine wire (actually the wire from inside a twisty tie (after I cleaned it thoroughly). Make sure the wire can go through all the holes including one between the high speed nozzle cylinder and the low speed nozzle cylinder. Spray carb cleaner through all the holes

Then re-assemble

Not a job for on the water (too many small parts that can go for a swim)

Tools
10m socket with long extension to remove the carb assembly
Needle nose plyers to remove fuel line clamps
The flat/phillips head combo screw driver that comes with the outboard motor when purchased
Spray carb cleaner
a very thin wire (about 3 inches long)
A micro screwdriver (for removing the low speed nozzle)
neoprene gloves (carb cleaner is nasty)
reading glasses (if you are too old to see the small holes)

vdotmatrix

Seaman
Wow this sounds like the symptoms on the motor i have been dealing with in another post. Same symptoms....dropped the motor off at the shop

pvanv

Admiral
So once again, a dirty carb does not idle well. Twas ever thus. Never seen the upper vents clogged. Never use a wire to clean a carb passage. Soak it in cleaner and blow it out.