1992 30hp prop seals

pvanv

Admiral
Ok Pvanv if i am reading your post correctly and after thinking about it. What your saying is the push rod clutch is not actually connected to anything? So what i need to do is get in there with some long needle nose pliers and try to wiggle that push rod free and just pull it out? then put the steel ball then the push rod back into the prop shaft, then reinstall housing with oring and prop shaft seals. im guessing it just fell out and got wedged back there when i removed the prop shaft housing?

I also ordered a service manual, i suppose i should have started there.

Yep. Right on all. Just dump the push rod out onto the bench. Then clamp the gearcase in a vise with the opening horizontal, and reinsert the complete prop shaft housing assembly, complete with the push rod.

kdx1980

Cadet
So i tried the long needle nose and no dice, not enough room. so then i took your advice Paul and just flipped the lower end over and shook it and the push rod and the forward gear fell out I sort of panicked when the gear fell out, i however after a few minutes of playing with the it was able to get the forward gear back behind the pinion gear with gears meshing. When i removed the old shaft seals they were so torn up and honestly i cannot remember the orientation of the seals, i want to say the spring side of both seals were pointing toward the back of the boat aka towards the prop but im not positive. Thank you again for your knowledgeable direction!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Figger out a way to remove part # 22 and install it in the end of the prop shaft.

kdx1980

Cadet
Yeah i got it out, everything should go back together nice now fingers crossed, just trying to figure out the shaft seal orientation. Looks like its only one seal, and the other one goes under the water pump. Im guessing the chamfered side of the seal goes in facing to the inside (toward the front of the boat)?

Last edited:

kdx1980

Cadet
Also just noticed one of the two shaft seals has a slightly bigger O.D. it looks like the smaller one is for the propshaft, and the bigger one im guessing is for the driveshaft. I apologize for all the questions, my manual will be here soon maybe it will help with some of these questions.

pvanv

Admiral
So i tried the long needle nose and no dice, not enough room. so then i took your advice Paul and just flipped the lower end over and shook it and the push rod and the forward gear fell out I sort of panicked when the gear fell out, i however after a few minutes of playing with the it was able to get the forward gear back behind the pinion gear with gears meshing. When i removed the old shaft seals they were so torn up and honestly i cannot remember the orientation of the seals, i want to say the spring side of both seals were pointing toward the back of the boat aka towards the prop but im not positive. Thank you again for your knowledgeable direction!

It will work that way, but I typically put the lip side facing in. I think you will find that it is a single prop shaft seal.

pvanv

Admiral
Yeah i got it out, everything should go back together nice now fingers crossed, just trying to figure out the shaft seal orientation. Looks like its only one seal, and the other one goes under the water pump. Im guessing the chamfered side of the seal goes in facing to the inside (toward the front of the boat)?

Yes, I usually place the lip facing into the housing.

pvanv

Admiral
Also just noticed one of the two shaft seals has a slightly bigger O.D. it looks like the smaller one is for the propshaft, and the bigger one im guessing is for the driveshaft. I apologize for all the questions, my manual will be here soon maybe it will help with some of these questions.

Yes. The 28 mm seal is for the prop shaft. The 30 mm seal fits under the water pump. You would know if you tried to put them in the wrong place right away.

kdx1980

Cadet
Ok Everything is back together, I put the lower unit on installed the battery and put the ears on her and fired her up. I got forward neutral and reverse and everything sounds and feels normal! i was able to pull 5lbs of vacuum on it before the hose collapsed and it held for 10 min. Hopefully she is all fixed, if nothing else it should greatly reduce the amount of water getting in there we will see?

I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to read my posts to try and point me in the right direction, and a special thanks to PVANV the Vice Admiral His advice was spot on. I have a new question but i will create another thread. Thanks again!