Skeg broken

I broke an 1"1/4" of the skeg of my 8 hp Honda kicker, should I get it fixed or install a skeg protector overtop , if they even make one that small . Is it even going to make any difference having it missing on this little motor ?

thatone123

Banned
Yes, someone ???? could make a mint selling small skegs in the US. Australia has some but shipping kills the deal for me. They can be welded for not too bad of a price I have been told.

robert graham

Admiral
Seems like the skeg on a kicker motor can't be all that important.....a welding shop can weld a 1/4 inch plate there and you can file/grind/paint to your satisfaction.....

Alumarine

Captain
The skeg is there to sometimes protect the prop when hitting rocks.
They never seems to help me.
I have two motors with broken skegs and unless they are mostly gone I leave it.
I doubt if you will notice that it's missing.

Thank you all for the input , I can see looking at it now that the prop is now the lowest point and that won't be good in the shallow water . I may just fabricate a skeg protector out of aluminium flat stock so my prop is a little more protected.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My vote, if it bothers you, get it welded. $35-50 for prep and weld

Well this is all I could come up with , 1/8" aluminium folded around the skeg stub.

Attachments

• photo309331.jpg
    photo309331.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was the injury done while the motor was running at speed with the swivel bracket in locked position ?

Happy Boating

No it was in my driveway , I was trying to straighten it out a bit and it snapped off , someone had drilled a hole in it and it snapped off at the hole . I should have left well enough alone😕

harringtondav

Commander
Kicker motor...probably OK to run it as is. It's there to provide prop protection and some rudder/steering benefit. Prop shops fix these every day.