Can't turn over rebuild Honda BF100 engine

adruid

Seaman
Have a 1984 Honda BF100L S#1300127 I'm rebuilding. My first outboard engine rebuild. After torquing the rod caps, the crank will not turn. Turns fine before the torque. I'm sure this must be normal, but I just need some reassurance that after I get it all back together, this fact won't come back to haunt me. Am I possibly doing something wrong? Ran some Plastigauge through the rod ends and got the hoped for .0002 in. clearance. Put a whisper thin coat of rebuild grease on the crank and rods. Is that my problem? These engines may require only oil on those surfaces or nothing at all (which wouldn't surprise me...) Look forward to a more expert opinion.

ahicks

Captain
I've always used oil, so not sure what might happen with grease. I think you're smart to confirm the crank will turn smoothly prior to proceeding though. Have you tried "convincing" it to turn with a breaker bar?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
0.0002" clearance is not right !!----And do not start forcing with a breaker bar.----Find out what is wrong here.-----You are sure the rod caps are on the correct rod and the correct way ?-----Did you mark the caps when it came apart ?

adruid

Seaman
OOOps! one too many zeros in the clearance! .002in. is the clearance I have. I swapped out the original saltwater degraded crank that was no longer making a good oil seal for a better crank. Went back to the original crank and had the same "no turn" results. Removed all grease and oil, still won't turn. The rod ends are just too tight. Since there are no bearing inserts in the rods, it seems they are designed to either work or be replaced if tolerances are off. Rod caps are matched with the correct rods, but may have been turned in the process of trying different solutions. Suspect that it will not make the difference, but will turn them one at a time... Thanks for your responses!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think you can figure this out.-----They should fit once you get the caps on the correct rod the correct way.

adruid

Seaman
Well, ahicks, you had the right idea. Rotated each cap 180deg. and it works! I appreciate your input and thank you both again for responding to my post! All the Best!
adruid