85hp 1985 force pops and gear noise

slx12001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New to me engine idles about 800 rpm pumping good water. If i throttle up it will start to pop like lean and sometimes stall. It will always start right back and idle well. When i got the engine idle Was set to about 950 rpm. Now with idle set to 800 rpm it makes some noise from neutral to fwd or rev. I'm thinking pop off idle may be head gasket?

slx12001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 85hp 1985 force pops and gear noise

Forgot compression is 135 all 3 cylinders

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi six, have a look at the sticky at the front of the forum and then sync your carbies, as you don't want to run it lean and cause future damage. Do you have a manual? 135 on all cylinders sounds fine as they are all even. When it was idling at 950 was it popping, and what did you do to adjust idle? The first thing I would do, is read the sticky or watch the youtube video on syncing your carbies, then I would check timing.

slx12001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I synced the carbs correctly. The idle stop screw was to far causing high idle I loosened the screws to reliese all 3 carbs back to closed then adjusted cam and linkage. All Good think there. Does not pop until after 2k rpm. Does the lower unit generally make much noise shifting.? Pilot jets are 1 turn out for now.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

It can get a ping if the idle is too high as it hits in too hard. It could also need adjustment of your gear linkage or controls. Try adjusting it to see if you can eliminate the pop. If not,try an 1/16 of a turn on counter clockwise (richer) your carbies and see if it makes any difference, you may also have to adjust idle a touch after doing this. You may be noticing a blockage in your high idle, does it run ok in the water? Just throwing a few things out there as I don't know your experience with the motor and mine is limited to my Chryslers :p.
I take it from what you have said that all the butterflies open horizontal at WOT. Did you sync the carbies when on the water? I am just wondering, when you say it pops at around 2k, are you saying it doesn't shift untill it gets to around 2k and shifts at that point as well?

slx12001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It shifts from neutral to forward reverse at 800 rpm now. It was about 959 rpm when i got it. Service manual states 750 rpm in gear idle so 800 rpm not in gear. Its more of a mismesh grind click sound. What shift adjustment can be made and to do what? Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The idle should be about 1100-1200 in the driveway.
800 in gear in the water motor warmed to operating temp..
The older(1985) carbs need to be initally set at 1 and 1/4 out for inital starting/tuning.
Check for water in the fuel.
Check the fuel pump diaphragm.
Don't mess with the shifter or linkage.
That shouldn't affect the idle or carb settings.
Hard shifting?
(You may be noticing a blockage in your high idle)????No high idle parts in these carbs.

Shifting on land,you might hear a clunk, maybe not.
Check the oil and see if there is any metal shavings or water in the oil.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

As you shift from neutral into forward/reverse, as you move the shifter, do it in a quick motion....not slow. You will get some noise from the gear case if not shifting in a quick motion....
Maybe that's whats happening......