force 125 short shaft to long shaft?

I recently bought a used lower unit for my '88 force 125. It turns out I needed a long shaft instead of a short shaft. I know that they make conversion kits, but have been unable to find the stub shaft for my engine. Does anyone know if there are any other engines that share the same spline specs, or where I could get a shaft extension for my engine? It needs to be 5" longer.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 125 short shaft to long shaft?

Didn't know they made a kit.
You might be able to get an extension made up.
Know any machinists?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 125 short shaft to long shaft?

First off, they never mad a short shaft engine in that size (except for racing) The standard is a 20 inch LONG shaft and a 25 inch EXTRA LONG shaft engine.

Your 88 uses a single one piece drive shaft. They did make extra long versions (hell, I have a 1979 Chrysler 25 inch shaft engine) BUT, you need to remove the old drive shaft and install a longer one. Way too much fuss and bother. better to find a 89 or later two piece lower unit and simply buy the longer upper drive shaft. I have never seen a 5 inch extension kit--that doesn't mean they weren't made, but I have never seen one. Thus, they would be difficult to find.

Understand though that you will need a new mid leg and front yoke assembly to convert. Oh, wait! I just re read your post: You HAVE an extra long engine and you bought a 2 piece drive shaft lower unit with a regular shaft correct?

I have a couple of long drive shafts. If this is what you need, send me a private message.