Force 9.9 water pump impeller change

Status
Not open for further replies.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
My 1991 Force 9.9HP outboard is due for a water pump impeller change out.
I have never changed it myself. I'm the second owner. Bought it from my cousin about 4 years ago. The thing is in pristine condition. clean and works perfectly. He told me that it was changed about 8 years ago. The marina changed it for him. My local marina said it would cost about $150 to replace the impeller. Not paying that for a $15 part. I've changed the impeller on my mercruiser alpha drive before and it was easy.
Is their any procedure I have to do to pull the lower unit off? And anything else I need to do while the unit is off? I already change the gear oil.
Also is their any anodes on this motor?

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Force 9.9 water pump impeller change

Easy as, like you I don't understand why marine mechanics think they can charge you an hours labour when it takes 15 minutes for this job.
If you have done one before, this will be a piece of cake. The only thing I found when I did mine ids that I had to replace the 2 seals as well, this isn't always the case.
28.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Once you remove the four bolts holding the lower unit it will drop only about 1/4 inch. you put it in gear (I forget which) to make a little more room. Reach in the gap and depending upon the bolt or screw, use a screwdriver or allen wrench to remove the screw holding together the upper and lower shift rods.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

The last impeller change I paid for was $300 (Maryland). That was a little bigger motor, but $150 sounds pretty good -- but I do it myself too. The shift lever link is invariably a little tricky, only because it's easy to drop the bolt/screw holding the links together -- which usually means you have to drop the lower unit and invert it to retrieve the bolt. You can't do the job right without a coffee can to hold bolts and parts. I like Maxwell House cans, but I'm pretty flexible on that.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did mine on a 4HP, the hardest part is getting started, the guys here won't let you down.

Subourbonman70

Recruit
Frank, I followed all the advice you've given to other people in in many different posts. But I just can't get the lower unit separated. I removed the Allen screw but the unit is still getting hung up on something. I can't find any manuals to save my life and the drawings I do have is just for the lower unit itself any other suggestions would greatly help thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
FrankA Passed a couple of years ago.
The post is 4 years old.
The mods don't like it if you open old threads.
Read the rules?
Start a new one.

All the 9.9 hp. have a screw on the shift shaft.
That would be the only thing holding the drive from dropping.

How far does it drop?

The splines on the shaft can rust and seize in the bottom of the crank???

Maybe a soft blow hammer on the drive.

IF?? the splines are seized? hitting with a hammer will pull the shaft through the pump housing.
The problem is the pin that orients the impeller, it can damage the pump housing as it's driven through the soft metal.

Seized shaft: turn the motor upside down and try to get a rust dissolver down to the splines. Krol is a good one.
Let set and repeat 2-3 times a day for a week.
Then try to pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.